1979 Schwinn Spitfire

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Handstand! handstand! handstand!

How many bicycles do you current have together?
Don’t do handstands yet., I screwed up today as I discussed. But I have 45 bikes that are riders and 10-15 more in various stage of build. And a junkyard of stripped frames. I need to stop hoarding/collecting and start selling. I have no room and I keep building and buying. Ok I have room, just no more inside storage space, which is good cuz I need something to limit me. I like collecting, but like building more. And I like riding the best…

Last edited:
It has ACS hub in front and looks like standard schwinn coaster in back. I had something happen to me that just about gave me a coronary on this bike today. I’m always really careful working around decals when cleaning, but never had them start coming off with Water! I was cleaning the white walls with sos pads, while rinsing off the suds I hit the frame with water, I did double take and realized parts of the Schwinn logo were missing! I’m thinking the water couldnt have washed off but it did! I freaked out, but after about an hr of free handing it back with a brush and some white paint I got it back close to what it was. I just got done spraying some clear over it to prevent that from happening again! The chainguard decals look clear coated. I’ve cleaned up a lot of bikes and NEVER had this happen before.I’m a little reluctant to post cause it looks better in person then when you zoom in on it.View attachment 182697View attachment 182697View attachment 182698
Thanks guys for letting me know it looks ok. half the S, 1/4 of the C and parts of the other letters just washed off? Still upset about it, the rest of the frame just looks so good, I couldn’t leave it. And I didn’t want to use a new replacement decal. Once it dried I wet dry sanded some of lettering very lightly, retouched it up with white and clear coated again.

Spent a few more hours on it today. Put laid back seat post and some gumwalls on it. Sorry Hamppea the tires looked like they wouldn’t make it down the street. I just destroyed a set of original corvette tires by riding down street and wasn’t gonna do the same again. I had one of “Rat Rod”’s bike pic saved before I found this was gonna paint a canti frame I have blue and build similar bike, then I found this. I think I’m just gonna get some new grips and call it good. I’ll regrease stuff later. Just rode and rides great. Pic of inspiration, then mine ( maybe I shouldn’t put side to side, mine doesn’t look so good) lol
C6C48FB0-9EA6-48ED-A211-B8659B5C12A2.jpeg
5AC69AFC-FE1E-4566-B803-EFED56DEED8A.jpeg
514E5888-68A7-47B2-AF31-23AC7FA0A1EC.jpeg

Last edited:
Funny thing when I collected 30 years ago, ( been away from collecting bikes for 20 yrs) I avoided schwinns, except the stingrays I would fix up and trade to a guy I know for 50’s and prewar bike stuff. Schwinns were too common in my eyes . But I now have come to appreciate them alot more.As a kid Shwinns we’re too heavy in my opinion, I had a stingray I built up and never rode, it was too heavy. ( Now I collect stingrays, lol) I had a lot of bikes and parts to choose from , my dad flipped bikes. The bike I rode most was a 20” ( no idea of make) girls frame wi/ banana seat and high rise bars. It was light and I could wheelie it the best and get most air with it going off jumps. I didn’t care it was a girls bike, it was fast! Any way this Spitfire represents an aspect/ form of cycling ( 80’s beach cruisers) I really hadn’t explored before, So I’m enjoying the learn.

Latest posts

Back