1980s Schwinn Peleton

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Very high quality, probably built by Panasonic. Columbus tubing says it all. Was so cheap I had to take it.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I put some used 25 mm tires on it today to replace the rotted 18s. Everything came easily apart, nothings stuck. Considering that it must have been ridden a lot and hard and that a lot of stuff had been replaced over the years ( brakes, crank, front wheel and rear derailleur) the frame is very solid still. It’s rock steady. Standing, pumping and wiggling side to side didn’t budge it. It corners hard with no flex and is my best climbing road bike, even without low gearing. I usually ride a 54 and this is a 56 but the cockpit is too short with a 95 mm reach quill. I plan to replace that with a 110 mm reach stem. The seat post is all the way up and I need at least another 1/4 inch of rise. Otherwise it’s good. Weird fitting short cockpit bike for a 56 but tweaking will make it good. I plan to put on some low rolling resistance 28 mm road tires. The 80s bikes would let you put on bigger tires, but by the 90s all you could get to fit were 23s, unless you did some filing on the underside of the fork. It’s a dandy. I would like to put on brake levers with integrated shifters and new wheels with lower gearing. I would also use my behind the saddle bottle cages to further reduce drag. I had some bolt on aero extensions but I think my son tossed them last summer when he purged my junk stash as I can’t find them with my bar stash. Dang. Time for a speed suit, girdle to keep my knees from slapping my gut, aero helmet, tight gloves and shoe covers. Ha, ha.

Ok pictures. I took it for a ride today. The bike was flawless, me not so. Someone once said most road crashes are worse than most mountain bike crashes. I can’t wait until tomorrow when brushing sets in.

Here goes, old man butt.
C1BF0991-A8E5-415B-B919-96CA8A694B85.jpeg

Right between my two knee surgeries. I’m proofing them by test beating.
197A72BD-3D25-46F4-8130-9D78288D051C.jpeg

I’m also testing out my shoulder replacement

ED565081-0C0B-4ABC-9E84-52AE7AC11BF5.jpeg

old man elbow
1C5936DE-5A4B-482D-AD97-E763A2C13B65.jpeg

I though I would get a head start on Halloween, thus the photos. My helmet has a slight dent so I need to go to the thrift store to pick up a replacement $9 helmet for my $9 brain. If you wear them backwards they are more aero. I think aero helmets also cut the wind better if you wear them backwards. Makes sense to have the pointy part in front. Thankfully the bike is fine. Me, the only parts not sore are the bottom of my right foot and my hair.

Last edited:
Jeez be careful out there! I know what you mean about waiting for the brusing, I got dumped from a horse a few years ago and went on a organized bike ride the next day... Oh the brusing :doh:.
Seriously I'm glad the bike is O.K. The Panasonic I have is a wonderful ride.

Jeez be careful out there! I know what you mean about waiting for the brusing, I got dumped from a horse a few years ago and went on a organized bike ride the next day... Oh the brusing :doh:.
Seriously I'm glad the bike is O.K. The Panasonic I have is a wonderful ride.
I hit a blockade on the bike path, it’s for keeping ATVs out. It’s narrow. Apparently there have been a lot of accidents there this summer, some with broken bones. It’s on a downhill stretch and people on road bikes have their heads down cranking and don’t see it in time.

Latest posts

Back