1981 Murray X24 FINISHED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Scored this a few weeks back, just now getting around to cleaning it up. 1981 Murray X24 24" bmx, looks to be completely original, only missing the chainguard. Bought it from the original owner, he said he always made sure to use the coaster brake, and not the caliper, to keep the anodized rim from wearing down. So here's how it looks right now:

IMG_4129.jpg

Plans are to completely disassemble it down, clean it up, toss on some blue gumwall comp 3 tires, and find some cool repop 80's grips. I'll post some pics once I make some progress. :)

Re: 1981 Murray X24 project

Sweet....gotta love 80s BMX anything....no matter how heavy it is. :lol:

It's a heavy one for sure, but should be a fun little neighborhood/track cruiser 8) . Got some time this morning to tear the bike down, need to make a pit stop at Lowe's tonight for some naval jelly.

IMG_4131.jpg

Maybe you need one of those big Rubber-Maid tubs and some of that wood bleach. :wink:

This was my first try at using naval jelly, worked pretty good on the frame. I coated everything in jelly, waited about 15 minutes, and then scrubbed it down with water and steel wool. Next step will be cleaning the wheels up and finding some tires.

IMG_4138.jpg

IMG_4136.jpg

Looks nice....that stuff works pretty good!

I thought you were supposed to use Belly Button Lint to wipe off Naval Jelly...

groan

No dude, that'll scratch the chrome. Found a guy on ebay with some blue gumwall Comp 3's, downside is he only had 1.75". Oh well, I think it'll look alright. Nothing but rain this morning, so I managed to get some of the parts cleaned up. The bars and sprocket are some kind of fake "anodized look" paint, good old Murray quality :lol: .

IMG_4141.jpg

sweet! :D

Got my tires today, and thought I'd do a quick mock up. Aside from new grips, I should have it all back together tomorrow. :D

IMG_4187.jpg

Man...who thought I'd ever say this but, that Murray BMX looks awesome. :D

I'm a sucker for blue anodizing.

Murray + BMX = Awesome
Nope, the math just doesn't add up right :lol:. It's kinda cool I guess, should be a fun little bike.

Looking good. My first "real" bike was an all blue on blue Murray BMX. I got it in 1982. I can't find a single picture of it in the family photos. It's killing me...

Finished it up this morning :D . I'm still wanting to find a nickel/blue chain but for now it's good to go. I hope to make it down to the track soon and see how rad I can get (or how hurt I can get :lol: )

81murrayad_lg.jpg

IMG_4190.jpg

IMG_4192.jpg

IMG_4199.jpg

Definetly came out cool.Thanks for the grips I got them yesterday.Alot of the 80s cruisers ran skinny tires,so they're perfect.

Latest posts

Back