19PENNYSAVER71 (LAST UPDATE 07/31 FINAL DETAILS)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alright so after thinking about wether I would be able to have a bike for the build off (found one) and being convinced more and more by fellow RRBiker "yoothegeye" I decided that I am going for it. With many talented builders on this site I know that my chances are not that great, but if there are two things that I can take from this build being learning from the greats and building a cool bike for cheap I am a winner in my eyes. So with that I say good luck to everyone and let's build some awesome Rats!

1971 Huffy Pennys
IMG-20110423-00130.jpg

IMG-20110423-00131.jpg

Paint stripping the frame. Although messy it did save me alot of time from having to sand the whole frame by hand. Times like this I wish I had a sand blaster.
IMG-20110507-00138.jpg

Finally all stripped. I did have to do some sanding by hand but it did not take that long. Actually it took me about an hour to do the whole frame.
IMG-20110507-00142.jpg

The bike did not have a chainguard so after looking through my scrap parts I found one from an old beach cruiser that I got for free. I knew that I had to make it fit but did not see it to be a big problem.
IMG-20110507-00143.jpg

First cut made with the good ole aviation snips. Man that does not look good at all.
IMG-20110507-00144.jpg

Second, third, fourth, fifth, six and seventh cut later. Looking good!
IMG-20110507-00145.jpg

Mounted the chainguard along with the rear wheel to make sure that I would have room for the chain. So far it's looking good.
IMG-20110507-00150.jpg

I still have some cleaning up to do on the edges and drill the hole to mount it on the rear of the frame but I think it looks really good and ratty.
IMG-20110507-00148.jpg

Re: 19PENNYSAVER71

thats a cool frame i've never herd of a penny. that chain rings pretty killer

Skrufryder said:

Thanks, I think it will work really well. I myself never heard of a pennys before but I was educated by a fellow RRB member that Huffy made the Pennys bikes for non other than Pennys.

To be even more clear, Pennys is JC Pennys, a department store, they use to have more than just clothes and home goods, kind of like Sears.

Fisch said:
Ilike how the top twinbars extend all the way to the front of the steer tube!

Yes I agree. The only thing is that the caps were plastic and in bad shape. I plan on finding a way to put some acorn nuts, spikes, or something cool on the end of the tubes.

yoothgeye said:
To be even more clear, Pennys is JC Pennys, a department store, they use to have more than just clothes and home goods, kind of like Sears.

Haha thanks yoothgeye I did forget to put the JC before the Pennys!

nelvolks said:
Skrufryder said:

Thanks, I think it will work really well. I myself never heard of a pennys before but I was educated by a fellow RRB member that Huffy made the Pennys bikes for non other than Pennys.

OH DUH of course the Pennys department store

nelvolks said:
Fisch said:
Ilike how the top twinbars extend all the way to the front of the steer tube!

Yes I agree. The only thing is that the caps were plastic and in bad shape. I plan on finding a way to put some acorn nuts, spikes, or something cool on the end of the tubes.

Nice. Tons of good options in license plate fasteners. Even skulls!

Unfortunately the headbadge was a decal and it was rotted and dried out. But I have a really cool idea brewing I just have to see if it works.

fisch said:
Nice. Tons of good options in license plate fasteners. Even skulls!
Good tip thanks.

herr_rudolf said:
Nice stuff!!

nelvolks said:
...and building a cool bike for cheap...

That's it!
...and ofcourse build it like you wanna win it!

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks that means alot and even pushes me to work harder.

Good start .

Never saw one of those badged as Penneys either - but do have the twin , Huffy badged 1973 model , in the basement .... same sprocket and all.

Mine has aluminum inserts in the tube ends, not plastic, maybe they cheapened it up in later years ?

I know someone over on muclebikeforums machined a new set from aluminum , so anything goes.

WILL be watching this one, to see how mine could become :)

~ AL

Green Dragon said:
Good start .

Never saw one of those badged as Penneys either - but do have the twin , Huffy badged 1973 model , in the basement .... same sprocket and all.

Mine has aluminum inserts in the tube ends, not plastic, maybe they cheapened it up in later years ?

I know someone over on muclebikeforums machined a new set from aluminum , so anything goes.

WILL be watching this one, to see how mine could become :)

~ AL

Thanks, I also can't wait to see what it looks like.

Re: 19PENNYSAVER71 (UPDATE 5/10)

So tonight I took some time to take all the parts of the bike that were really rusted and dirty and removed as much rust and cleaned them up as best as possible. My plan is to use the same parts since they look really ratty and not pretty. Alot of elbow grease by sanding down most of the rust and using 0000 steel wool and some all purpose lubricant to clean them up. I plan to run a few coats of flat clear to protect the parts from not rusting up again (deal that the wifey and I made in order to keep the bike inside, she does'nt like rusty bikes inside the house.)
IMG-20110510-00167.jpg

IMG-20110510-00168.jpg

Big difference a little or I should say alot of elbow grease does.
IMG-20110510-00169.jpg

All done and now off to bed!!!
IMG-20110510-00170.jpg

Re: 19PENNYSAVER71 (UPDATE 5/10)

yoothgeye said:
Can you bottle some of that elbow grease and ship it down here?

Three hours last night I think I am all elbow greased out I need a redbull or monster to get pumped up again to send some your way. But I do envy your work station and power tools. I am working at the kitchen table with no power tools and my beautiful wife who gives me that look everytime she comes in the kitchen, haha! But thankful she supports me on what I am doing.

Latest posts

Back