1HP ELGIN ''UndeadCustom'' FINISHED!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here i go again , finally found a prewar to build , but it is naked and all rusty , so its good and bad ,depend on how you see this:crazy:

it is still not definitive wether it is a Elgin or Mercury cause i have no emblem , but ill name it a Elgin ;)
Since it is absolutly impossible to find parts locally and i am on a tight budget this build will be pretty random:crazy:
DSCN6051_zps1rvtyqdb.jpg

DSCN6053_zpstt8cgw2x.jpg

DSCN6050_zpsilmb9oix.jpg

Last edited:
Jumped on a great deal today on a huffy , this should make it a roller:happy:
what i think is great is the sprocket look allot like the original one ... for the price i paid , i would not even have a good pair of rims , and now i have complete wheel set /spring seat/fenders/chaingauard/crank/Temporary fork and components to put back on sale :43::cool2:
DSCN6055_zpsij6dfikx.jpg

DSCN6054_zpslta25kk3.jpg

Last edited:
Neat old frame, can't wait to see it back together.
kenny

its a roller !:)
DSCN6061_zpsqluz2gmq.jpg

Fork / tires / pedals and seat will have to be updated and faux patina or rusting on the grey parts and rims
DSCN6064_zpsurucvgj2.jpg

DSCN6065_zpssznlkv0a.jpg

the seat is just sooo ugly !!!:eek: so i will probably re-cut/shape the plastic pan and change the fabric
DSCN6058_zpskzxl8bzs.jpg

DSCN6057_zpsuwyq9rlb.jpg

ill probably don't have to tell , but fitting modern components on a 1939 requires allot of adapters/spacers/sleeves/brackets/ front steering cups needed sleeves cause one size was to big and the other one to small .... bb bearing cups needed i little tape around it to remove some slack... rear fender needed washers to get it closer to the tire and also some brackets to elongate the supports ... cahin guard needed 2 coaster brake brackets to hang it... and finally the seat post made from a stem, took me 3h to reduce the diameter down till it fits inside there , it uses a aluminum cylinder with a hole it it to mount the seat clamp over where the handlebar goes usually ..
DSCN6068_zpsodjoooev.jpg

DSCN6067_zpshy76yuet.jpg

DSCN6066_zpswdv1sdde.jpg

haha, redneck DIY :crazy: on a budget .... it kind of ugly i know , but hey , i can ride it till i find better parts :113::D

Last edited:
started to redo the seat, got that for free while hunting for parts at a lbs , clearly understandable when seeing the state it was in , but since i want that old look , it is perfect :)
DSCN6070_zps6ivyvsli.jpg

what you see is what i got ..the red part you see is actually the only thing left from the fabric, plus the 3 pieces of "gone for good" leather under , only the padding is in good condition , its made of something like some hats are made with ... got to find some new spring to
DSCN6071_zpsiypruwh8.jpg

DSCN6072_zpscazwgjpr.jpg

thats some thick Black faux leather for the underside ^ glued
and thats the thin darkBrown faux leather for the top v
i folded and glued the edges to have double thickness for the lacing/stitching ..same as the underside
DSCN6073_zps6y13xbwa.jpg

Clean !!! one piece all around :D
DSCN6074_zps0hffgpo8.jpg

now the painfull part of stiching this thing :whew:and hope everything fits tight:39:

Most of your photos are missing. You must have moved them in Photobucket.
:eek:renamed the album ... maybe for that ?:39: ill try to republish them..
( EDIT ) Yeap! guys don't rename your photobucket albums , or you will have to republish every link

Last edited:
Not Bad heh ? :D:cool:
DSCN6079_zpsxx41vwh5.jpg

DSCN6077_zps643z1q7m.jpg

DSCN6080_zpscjzcln0s.jpg

My nicest seat re-do so far :dance2: few ripples , butpretty tight overall .
i used some bass buttons (Western Botton) as washers with brass screws to mount it , for the nuts i used fourniture leg inserts and removed the spikes
31UW0fzmI%2BL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

Very happy with how it turned out:43:

Nice work on that seat re cover.
The wheels look great on the Elgin too!

Nice work on that seat re cover.
The wheels look great on the Elgin too!
Thanks King , yeah wheels are not bad , they have a good width and the red will do for the moment , i do plan to paint them and get big fat tire tho:)

i have some catching up to do to meet my brother's bike beauty :eek:
DSCN6087_zpszbliq3oj.jpg

DSCN6088_zpsrzz6d8io.jpg

DSCN6086_zpsi9k6szgf.jpg

still a great ride as is :thumbsup: hopefully i find good parts soon and keep improving it in the beauty departement :nod:

Sourced tires almost identical to these a lbs , i actually ad the guts to asked if i could sell me the tire that are on one of his new Evo cruiser , hes said yes :rockout::happy: don't know what is the actual make , but they are branded EVO 26x3 with the same threads .. for a honest price too!

iam getting them in a week or 2 , mean while ill have to widen the chain stays a little to make it fit:crazy2:
DSCN6086_zpsnrulfokm.jpg

Also have to find of fabricate a higher/staighter seatpost cause i struggle to put the power down:whew:
,825" weird diameter:arghh:

Last edited:
MO FATTA MO BETTA
I actually like the gumwalls alot with the red wheels though.
That seat is killer too.

Got clearance now:113:
DSCN6108_zpsyspj98i0.jpg

DSCN6112_zpsqby8awqy.jpg

unfortunatly Merican Steal quality was not the same back then...:eek::cry: the seat stays cracked on both sides ... so had to grind the rust for welding soon(when i find a place) ..
DSCN6111_zpsfdebdvzo.jpg

DSCN6110_zps6nrtaabz.jpg

it was only cracks , but in order to remove all rust , i had to dig in it a little .. still , i am confident it will hold great after welding , i am even pretty sure i could ride it like this, but no:shake:

yep , so the rust patina look will most certainly give way to a re-paint since these repairs ...
and after a little more sanding on the frame, i discovered its true colors :)
DSCN6113_zpsord54yev.jpg

Blue with white graphics over red primer

Sweet project. Where you at in MTL? We should hook up Bro.
oh !:13: i never realized you were here:hi: near pont viau ... and you?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back