2 Bikes I need help to I.D.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought these 2 bikes and would like to find a year and a little more info about them.
One is a Western Flyer and I found these # (J58481)
The other is a Firestone Pilot with skip tooth sprockets. (8H083951 and 178-8-9A7) found on the bottom. (Click on the photo and more will follow)

The Western Flyer is an AMF Roadmaster made in Arkansas bike, late 50s to early 60's.

The Pilot is Huffy made, by the 8H in the serial, the 8 is 1958, or maybe 1948.
Would the color combination of the original paint give any leads to which year it is? I understand some makes only have certain paint jobs for certain years. Do you think knowing the number of teeth on the Sprocket would help any?

If the Pilot still has the original crank/sprocket, I'd put it at '48, due to the style of the sprocket and the inch-pitch. By the late 50s, a lot of Huffy bikes had forward-facing drop outs, but some models (eg, the Eldorado) had rearward-facing fork-ends in the late 50s, so that's just a clue....

I looked for 48 and 58 Huffys and Pilots, and didn't find a match for yours.
Is the top tube bent or is that just the way the pic looks?
As for paint matching years, I'd have to have access to a catalog to make a guess on that.
Then I remembered Huffy was the nickname for Huffman bikes way back when and looked up 48 Huffman and found this pic. So, I'd guess yours is a 48 Firestone Pilot, made by Huffman.

9fqfmh.jpg

Thank you for looking, my top tube is bent down in one spot but I will fix it.
I just started pulling it apart and it looks like the paint is original paint, I also counted the front sprocket and it has 26 teeth and the back has 10 teeth. I plan on leaving everything just like it is and even the tires. I noticed that the rims have a pinstripe around them now if I can find the correct pedals or if anyone has some for sale I would be set.

So with all that said, how can you find out what the bikes are worth?
I'm still new to the bike scene and I'm learning what too look for.

Latest posts

Back