2 Cool 4 Skool, Chopper-Up

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, Had a Raleigh Chopper in the early 1970, never been interested in other pushbikes since (update, sorry, didnt mean to be rude I now see how much love people put into their bikes), only 4x4's, Vans, gocarts, trikes and Monkeybikes, one Month ago started my new project 2 Cool 4 Skool, Chopper-up, the name is long but let me explain, my Chopper in 1971 was highly customized by me and would not have lasted long in the schools bike parking area and as far as Chopper-Up, well, I had forgotten how many brazed joins there were, so every bit of brazing had to be removed and be re-welded, I am into 120 hours work (fun) of my putting back together my jigsaw build with probably another 80 to go, dont hate me for cutting a MK2 frame, it was not destined to safely be used as it was, I have lengthened it by one inch to pop wheelie only when I want to, not when it wants to. I really had forgotten just how small the Raleigh Chopper is (I was smaller in 1971), but I do like a challenge and really is there any bike seat out there that is even less comfortable than a Raleigh Chopper seat.

Well had to start somewhere. MK2 1975 frame

chopper-frame-small.jpg

After a lot of de brazing and a slight redesign, including 1" extension at the rear.

2Cool4Skool-frame.jpg

All 47 year old thin gauge tube strengthened with 25mm wide 3mm thick flat bar. Some reinforcement hidden by exhaust and built in chain guard.
Box sectioned beneath where the fuel tank will be.

2Cool4Skool-frame+structure.jpg

Positioning of Motor and exhaust.

2Cool4Skool-frame+motor.jpg

Moved seat mount 1" forward and added framework to permanently box in seat, Sissy bars and seat post for extra hidden rigidity so now rear frame
is constructed in a box, sectioned into 3 areas.

2Cool4Skool-left.jpg

2Cool4Skool-right.jpg

What to do when you forgot you already bid on a pair of seat springs and won them, now you have two pairs, take a deep breath and think.

2Cool4Skool-seat-springs.jpg 2Cool4Skool-front-spring.jpg 2Cool4Skool-spring-forks.jpg

The next stage is redesigning the tank, my plan is to keep the original gear lever console image alive but incorporate it into the fuel tank.

2Cool4Skool-tank-design.jpg 2Cool4Skool-designing-tank.jpg

2Cool4Skool-rear.jpg

Well this is where Im upto, I will update more soon, hope you like '2 Cool 4 Skool, Chopper-Up'.

Continuing on with building the tank/console.

Trying to keep the premise of the MK1 and MK2 Raleigh Chopper Pushbike alive with the organ re-arranging Gear lever, I just call it natural selection. It will look a lot less damaging once the T-top gear shifter knob is fitted, but Im not planning on this being a speed demon and knowing where the gear lever is will help keep me focused.

2Cool4Skool-left-tank.jpg2Cool4Skool-top-tank.jpg2Cool4Skool-right-tank.jpg

Last edited:
Update, with the T-top gear shifter knob fitted and a bit of smoothing around the edges of the tank, its starting to look the part, even though its only for aesthetics as the motor has a centrifugal clutch it keeps the retro look alive.

2Cool4Skool-gear-change2.jpg

Once its painted I will then apply the stickers.

2Cool4Skool-consul-sticker.jpg

Finally got around to fitting my 1960's Pifco-super-sonic horn, I think it mirrors the tank quite well.

2Cool4Skool-pifco-horn.jpg

As I have temporarily fitted the front and rear mudguards Ive attached the bracket to hold the license plate holder, no not for legality reasons but to put 'Chopper-Up' on.

2Cool4Skool-number-plate.jpg

Next is to come up with a better solution than the plastic motor cover, which originally covered the cooling fins, Im not planning on any Rally Dakar racing and so the cooling aint gona be no issue. The problem being I wasent able to make one out of mild steel as this is the flywheel side that houses the actuator and coil and that idea could (?) mess with the ignition, so an alloy one was really what I was after.

2Cool4Skool-frame+motor-crop.jpg

Found one... the dog was not as happy as I was.

2Cool4Skool-alloy-cover.jpg

Well I am 183 hours into the build now and mainly getting ready for paint, so its fillers and sanding, hoping my Huret speedo turns up soon as fitting that will get me away from filler for a while.

Well this is where Im up to at the moment, should be getting it stripped down and in primer over the next couple of days.

2Cool4Skool-right-filler.jpg 2Cool4Skool-left-filler.jpg

Bye for now.

I'm generally not into motored bicycles but absolutely love this little bike!!:inlove:
Thank you for the nice words, I realize Im skating on thin ice with Chopper-Up being motorized, I have looked at other forums but ratrodbikes just ticks all the right buttons for me, seems to have a good bunch of people who just like to be a bit more rebellious, creative and fun.

I enjoy finding complete, original bikes as anyone does but what really gets me going is digging into a pile of parts, frames, forks, etc. to see what I can come up with. The challenge of making stuff work that are not designed to fit together and look cool is fun(frustrating?)!!

I really dig all the little details employed on this build so far and the overall look is killer! Keep up the good work! :113:

I have seen quite a few motorized Stingrays, but I have NEVER seen a motorized Raleigh Chopper.
I think we can officially bestow the title of Virtuoso upon you.
Thank you, had to Google Virtuoso first, just incase. :thumbsup:
Before starting 2C4S, I on purpose didnt look online to see if it had been done before as I did not wana play catchup, but now I have looked there are some, but each one is markable different, good for me as I always try and put my own spin on projects.

Back with some extra updates.

My Huret Speedo arrived yesterday and I am very pleased in the condition, for one that is 50-60 years old and only done 63 miles (surely not 9963) its just what I was after, I already had a cable and takeoff drive from an earlier Monkey bike project that I can use, but there is not a lot of room between the Chopper forks and I still might fit a disc brake, sooooo it's just for looks now.

old-huret-speedo.jpg

Five minute job, that good.

speedo-left.jpg

I can feel my OCD kicking in, 123, 123, 123. Quick try the other side.

speedo-right.jpg

NO, That didnt help at all, Quick get it off, get it off, knock, knock, knock.

Aaar, thats better, wasnt the 5 minute job I thought, though.

speedo-center.jpg

During the early frame building because of lack of room for where I wanted to place the motor, I built an access hole in the center tube of the frame to check and fill oil, so that allowed me to move the motor back a couple of inches.

oil-filler-access.jpg

Friends turned up so we stopped for a snack.

work-break.jpg

Right, back to work.
keeping the theme,I started strengthening the pedals support,so I can still remove them if needed.

pedals-support.jpg

UPSHOT, if easily offended look away now !!!.

upshot.jpg

I dont think that Raleigh considered this when they first designed the Chopper.

pedals-fitted.jpg

Welded in some more substantial brake stays.

rear-brake-stays.jpg

Just so I can see what still got to be smoothed, added the first mist coat of primer.

Primer-mist-coat.jpg

OK guys, not much more to do on it now, I am just under my self proclaimed 200 hours, but its not really a rushed project, so when its done its done, might be about another 15-20 hours.
I will add more as I do it.
Keep on biking.

Last edited:
Motorizing the Raleigh Chopper looks to be a lot like motorizing a 20" BMX.
No engine kit will fit until you use the torch.

Motorizing the Raleigh Chopper looks to be a lot like motorizing a 20" BMX.
No engine kit will fit until you use the torch.
Yup, not really meant for any fitment unless its a V framed bike, trying to shoehorn the 4 stroke into a space what could be considered only slightly larger than a Dairylea Triangle (cheese snack in UK) was still my preferred option, even though a 2 stroke possibly could have fitted at a weird angle. Im really enjoying the challenge with 2C4S but Im also looking forward to cleaning up my workshop, everything has a fine layer of filler dust and primer sticking to it.

Soooo much sandingggggg.

Well this puts Zen to rest, filler on, filler off, filler on, filler off, my original plan was more in keeping with the Rat Rod ideal rather than "O" so shiny, but I kinda got carried away with 2C4S Chopper-Up and a week later👇

halfway-smoothed.jpg

Then another week,,,, NO !, Looking at the picture I cant see a difference ether.
I asked the great one, "Please Sensei, tell me, how will I know when I am done?"

finished-with-filler.jpg

He answered with "Do your arms ache like never before?", "Yes" I replied.
"Have your finger prints been removed from the extremities of your hands?", "Yes" I replied.
"Do you have any filler left?", "No" I replied.

filler-sanding.jpg

"Then Grasshopper, you will know, you are done!".

First base coat on the fuel tank and panels fitted either side to allow for attaching the tank.

base-coat-tank.jpg

Just a waiting game now for the slightly less cold/wet/windy weather to kick in, before I get to fully paint. I have it down to a fine art now it takes about thirty five minutes to put the bike all together, but then Ide want to go for a ride and after I would need to degrease the primer again, so until the sun comes out and I can fix the roof on my spraying shed, guess I will tackle other projects.

I will update when the paint is on, so until then thanks for looking.

Soooo much sandingggggg.

Well this puts Zen to rest, filler on, filler off, filler on, filler off, my original plan was more in keeping with the Rat Rod ideal rather than "O" so shiny, but I kinda got carried away with 2C4S Chopper-Up.....

---------------------------STUFF-THE-WEATHER---------------------------

left-chopper-up-paint.jpg

I was gona wait for better weather, but I have seen so much grey fillers dust recently, I needed color.

left-rear-chopper-up-paint.jpg

It was still to windy to fix my spraying in shed and I just needed to see it back together again.

left-side-chopper-up-paint.jpg

Not yet finished, still waiting on more paint for pedal brackets and to finish the front forks.

right-above-chopper-up-paint.jpg

Waiting on new seat cover, still gota wire ign, horn, kill switch and usb power pack the lights.

right-above-rear-chopper-up-paint.jpg

What got me originally thinking about building Chopper-Up was this chain guard sticker.
⬇️
Chopper-exhaust-sticker.JPG

The Chopper version of the 'go faster stripe' and in those days who didnt have a playing card clacking around their rear wheel spokes pretending it was a motorbike, yep guilty as charged!, still got the road rash on my back which proves two things (1) Truth is Choppers can go fast (downhill) and (2) Choppers brakes are crap!.

So thats why if you were wondering why not just have the exhaust on the left, it would be easier, yea, but ⬆️ please see the above picture. ///side note thats also why Im doing better brakes. 😎.

right-chopper-up-paint.jpg

The weather wasent really very good for spraying with the doors open, but it came out ok and at least now I can finish 2 Cool 4 School (Chopper-Up) and do my other projects that are yelling at me.

Ride on people.

Last edited:
---------------------------STUFF-THE-WEATHER---------------------------

Continuing on with a small update...

I decided that there was no better time than after paint :headbang: to grind back on the frame and sort out that steering limit thingy.
Had the choice of limiting the handlebars or limiting the front wheel amount, I chose the later because if I hit a rock at 30 MPH, Ide rather the front forks restricted the steering throw than the single long bolt of the handlebar stem, its still gona hurt,but Ide know that was the right thing to do.

steering-stop.jpg

Also the curve towards the wheel looks kinda cool.

steering-stop-painted.jpg

Now with the forks in fresh paint it shows the front springs ((notice I didnt say suspension) (Dam I just did)) more effectively.

front-forks-painted.jpg

Next, a nice simple job of attaching the leather saddlebag.

leather-saddlebag.jpg

Ive ordered new squishy seat foam, ya know so its actually rideable, honestly Raleigh you were having a laugh, its not a seat but an instrument of torture. Also have on order some tassels for that Easy riders 70's look and Im in the process of converting my belt buckle that States 'Live to Ride' to attach at the top of the seat.

Well, told you it was a small update.
Bye for now.

Last edited:
Well the post arrived today with the leather tassels, so just another quick update.

"Get your motor running, get out on the highway, looking for adventure",,,,, ok I really cant get the song 'Born to be wild' out of my head. :shake:.

Fitted the handlebar tassels and some slim ones to the sissy bar.

handlebar-tassels-chopper-up.jpg

Added my belt buckle to the seat and have finished the number plate.

rear-tassels-chopper-up.jpg

Im really looking forward to riding 2C4S Chopper-Up, but more than that Im just enjoying the build, and showing you guys, thanks to all who have added a thumbs up or a smiley face.

rear-left-tassels-chopper-up.jpg

Artistic interpretation on the clutch cover of a doodle I drewed @ Skool a lifetime ago. The joke being stay in school kids or you will never lern to spel.

clutch-cover-chopper-up.jpg

Well, I had the paintbrush in my hand, sooo.

flywheel-chopper-up.jpg

Still have the stickers to fit in front of the motor with Chopper-Up on and who knows I might mural the tank once Ive fitted the G-lever sticker.

Must still fit the brake cables or there will be a killer on the road, Dam now I cant get 'Riders of the storm' out of my head. :shake:.

Ok well until Ive something else to add, keep safe.

Last edited:
Thank you, Karate Chicken and Mr Monkeyarms, WheelBender6, Sparky Sharky, AJames, Rusty Gold, Kevin B, Bruised, MattiThundrrr, David Baker, Sasza, PeteMcP + Others, Ive never really done any Social media before, but I really enjoy the site and get quite a buzz knowing that you guys appreciate the build, In the past building my projects over the years and not doing any online posts (my choice) its quite dishartening knowing I might have spent 6 Months building some crazy motorized creation and nobody see's it, in yet somebody posts online their new PINE FRESH air freshener on their rear view mirror and the world and their dog goes crazy for it. :crazy2:.

Last edited:
It's always nice to see something cool, interesting, different & well done! Thanks for sharing this! :cool: :cool:
Well, thank you, normally I would have gotten sidetracked and been doing bits of other projects but now I kinda feel I owe it to you guys to follow through.
Finished the wiring today pushed it out in the garden and while standing along side, pull started the motor, the throttle got stuck open and 2C4S did 2 dirt donuts 🍩🍩 around me while I hung on to the handlebars until I got to the kill switch with my other hand. I couldn't release the throttle thats what I was hanging on to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back