2 Muscle Bikes Help Figuring out Brand

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 bikes that I have had for some time and am currently trying to determine what they really are. They both need a lot of work to be road worthy.

The green one only has a sticker on the seat post saying Frame by Columbia and a bike license plate with a date of 1973 on it.

The yellow/black one has no real info except a sticker on the seat post stating BMA/6 Certified. I did find one similar online https://www.ebay.com/itm/184447870872 but this is a 3 speed and mine says 5 speed on the frame. They list it as a Foremost Swinger 3.

Just trying to determine what they are, and what they may be worth.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_3025.jpg
    IMG_3025.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_3027-1.jpg
    IMG_3027-1.jpg
    609.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_3028.jpg
    IMG_3028.jpg
    942.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3029.jpg
    IMG_3029.jpg
    931.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3038.jpg
    IMG_3038.jpg
    663.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3041.jpg
    IMG_3041.jpg
    741.4 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_3025-1.jpg
    IMG_3025-1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 100
the yellow one is a murray eliminator, built for jc penneys, the other one is columbia built for mtd
?- hard to find brand.

Last edited:
I like the license plate. Cool little bikes! I don't know anything about value, but I'd say they're definitely worth fixing up or ratting out. Some nice parts too, if you decide not to.
We just had a Muscle Bike Build Off, you should browse a minute and see what is possible!

https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?categories/muscle-bike-bmx-bike-build-off-2020-21.199/
Thanks for your reply. Yeah the license plate I guess is specific to Denver, Colorado from 1973 so that's an old item.

The Columbia has a red band Bendix coaster hub, so it's probably from the 60's. The serial number is on the left dropout and can ID the year. The Murray has a BMA6 decal, from 1971 and later.

The Columbia has a red band Bendix coaster hub, so it's probably from the 60's. The serial number is on the left dropout and can ID the year. The Murray has a BMA6 decal, from 1971 and later.
Thanks for the info

You were right, never even saw it. The number seems pretty generic. 112222 1069999

Was that the Murray or Columbia number? The Columbia should have a letter followed by 6 numbers, probably beginning with an "R" or "S".

Last edited:
I have 2 bikes that I have had for some time and am currently trying to determine what they really are. They both need a lot of work to be road worthy.

The green one only has a sticker on the seat post saying Frame by Columbia and a bike license plate with a date of 1973 on it.

The yellow/black one has no real info except a sticker on the seat post stating BMA/6 Certified. I did find one similar online https://www.ebay.com/itm/184447870872 but this is a 3 speed and mine says 5 speed on the frame. They list it as a Foremost Swinger 3.

Just trying to determine what they are, and what they may be worth.
Thanks in advance.
My first bike was like the yellow one. It was a Foremost Swinger single speed made for J C Penny's.

Was that the Murray or Columbia number? The Columbia should have a letter followed by 6 numbers, probably beginning with an "R" or "S".
It was the green one, Columbia. No letters and didn't find any other numbers on the frame. The Murray (Yellow) couldn't find any numbers on the frame anywhere.

I learn something new all the time. I never knew MTD and Columbia were related.
"MTD bicycles[edit]
Starting in 1966, MTD released their line of bicycles that were sold throughout the U.S. These bicycles were mostly muscle bikes and in 1969 they released a chopper, the MTD SS5 Chopper which merged Columbia and MTD. Both brands were strong players in the high-rise bicycle market, eventually they would join forces in the coming years; eventually the bicycle brand MTD would fade out while Columbia would continue."

Latest posts

Back