20 inch wheels on a 26 inch cruiser possible??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done it for someone who commissioned me to build them a bike from parts they supplied. I had low expectations when they showed up with 144 spoke 20" wheels and an old 26" Murray frame, but it actually turned out somewhat cool in the end. I don't have pictures, but I will say part of the fun of the rat bike hobby is throwing random stuff together and hoping for the best. The smaller wheels will fit right in with no problem, so give it a try and decide if you like it for yourself.
Alright cool. Thank you for the reply.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

I'd keep in mind you might want to use shorter crank arms in that case, because sometimes this kind of setup could significantly drop the frame and you are going to end up with a pedal scraper :)

I'd keep in mind you might want to use shorter crank arms in that case, because sometimes this kind of setup could significantly drop the frame and you are going to end up with a pedal scraper :)
I know. I ordered custom tires so the rims are on the bike bare right now until they come in. I've been trying to look at it and imagine the extra couple inches of clearance I'll get when I add the tires... I'm thinking I might need a shorter crank... Probably like a unicycle crank..

You could also consider a triple tree setup. That way, you can dial in the length of your forks for both the wheels, BB height, stance, etc..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes! I thought of that also. It would make the bike look kinda like a chopper. I'm not against it, but the price of those are a little steep for me. But I also don't want shorter cranks... So.. only time will tell.. also thank you for your reply!

Here is 20" wheels on a 24" Murray with a 26" fork and 20" cranks; was my daily rider all through college and loved every minute of it.

Attachments

• 100_0633.JPG
    100_0633.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 217

Latest posts

Back