20" Mongoose BMX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 3rd build and this time I wanted to do a single speed instead of shifters like the first two I built.
I also wanted to build a smaller bike and my son donated a Mongoose to the project. I stretched the wheel base for stability and rider comfort and I built a perimeter frame around the engine. I hope to race this in either the Amateur class or Intermediate.

I still have to build a motor for it, the one in it now is a junker for mockup only. Its gonna be a week or two before the first test ride and engine break in.

You should be able to outcorner the motorbikes wielding bigger dia tires. Road races are won in the corners.

As a motorcyclist I must disagree, on the out cornering statement about wide tires, wide tread and a good controlled lean... Go watch a sport bike do turns at over 70 in a race, on a side note, I love the build of this, great tread for off-road race, but I see a near fatal issue in tight turns, your rear pegs, if they hit ground in a turn... Enough said. My thoughts, wear some motocross leg and knee braces if you plan on any crazy turning, if your turning left, your left pedal should be at its highest point, and vice versa, wear a DOT approved helm, just my opinion. It's your life, your ride, your way, be safe.

Well after motor break in and testing/tuning I have got it up to 45mph so far but Im sure theres more left in it. Cornering is very good so far, and seems to be even better handling than my other two builds. The bike is still in a running mockup stage but I will race it that way and wont paint it until after the races so I can decide if its really done or not. Our next race is at Willow Springs in April so at some point soon Im gonna call it good enuff for race day.

Voidlogic, Wheelbender said bigger diameter tires not wider and in testing so far it does seem to handle better, and has a lower center of gravity than my 26" bikes. I don't need to watch a race I actually race which is far better than watching.....lol. (Heres a clip of my KTM powered shifter mountain bike which is also a crash clip ) Also we race on pavement even though the bike looks like a motocross bike. The smaller diameter also makes the bike quicker off the turns and has a higher top speed that my other China Girl bike.

The rear pegs were only on the bike so I could put on and take off the rear wheel without a wrench until the first ride, they are now off and it has regular nuts.
And for cornering I keep the pedals level and they never touch the ground, some of the guys put a foot down for the turns and the others along with myself ride feet up.
As far a DOT helmet, the race rules mandate that along with full safety gear.

Last edited:
This is really cool. I'm glad they don't do this in my area, or that would be yet another bike I'd have to build. I used to race pocket bikes, and that was the most fun to be had with clothes on. The pocket bike racing scene in New England dried up.

My apologies on the misunderstanding, my dis lexis brain gets confused sometimes, I love this thing, you definitely know what your doing, keep up the great work

How's the BMX bike doing are you still racing it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Been awhile since I checked in here. Yes my Son stil races that bike, it has been raced at 3 events and has finished 1st, 3rd and 4th in the mains. Heres
DSCN1721.JPG
DSCN1717.JPG
what it looks like today.....

Latest posts

Back