2000 Schwinn Cruiser Supreme 22" Frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mission Accomplished

The addition of a newly built wheelset of Araya 26 x 1.5 (7X?) rims, DT Champion 2.0 spokes and a Formula TH-31 hub in the rear and vintage Sansin high flange up front. The addition of the NOS Shimano XT canti brake shoes with the wheels made it 100% as far as pushing the limits of the frameset. Anything else done at this point is superficial and de-branding the handlebars is the only thing I forsee in that realm. Those Dia Compe 980 levers are still one of my all-time favorites, second only to Avid Ultimate levers.

20210622_152627.jpg

Looks great! I agree on those brake levers, I recently rebuilt an 87 Nishiki with those on it. I could have kept them and put some replacements on but they were perfect for that bike, along with the Araya rims, same as yours also.

fin1 - Copy.JPG

Mission Accomplished

The addition of a newly built wheelset of Araya 26 x 1.5 (7X?) rims, DT Champion 2.0 spokes and a Formula TH-31 hub in the rear and vintage Sansin high flange up front. The addition of the NOS Shimano XT canti brake shoes with the wheels made it 100% as far as pushing the limits of the frameset. Anything else done at this point is superficial and de-branding the handlebars is the only thing I forsee in that realm. Those Dia Compe 980 levers are still one of my all-time favorites, second only to Avid Ultimate levers.

View attachment 162200
Why did you choose to go with a free wheel instead of a coaster brake? Just curious.

I’ve used similar dia-compe levers on several of my bikes and have to admit they are my favourite levers. I bought my first set in the early 80’s and still have them. They are the only bike parts i have left from my teenage years of messing with bikes. You have done a great job with your Schwinn.

Latest posts

Back