2005/2006 Schwinn Manta Ray & Stingrays from Walmart

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry pros/vets i know that the 70's original versions (of the Manta Ray's) are much coveted. But I REALLY like these updated models (ESPECIALLY the Manta Rays)! I mean at least they look really cool...Does anybody have one?
How are they? Well Built?
How do they handle? Are they "mod" friendly?
I know they no longer make them so where can i still get them?
Also, i'm a tall guy 6, 2' so are they out of the question for tall riders? If so...that's ok i'll still probably pick them up for my kids...thanks! :mrgreen:

They are good quality and very modifier friendly... 8)

M7909A9.jpg

M7909A1.jpg

bikes011.jpg

0512092.jpg

Someone in my area was selling one on CL for only $50 along with a couple other bikes because they were moving and had no room to haul it. Looked in great shape but I was short of cash at the time.

WOW...those are BEAUTIFUL mastronaut! EXACTLY what i want & what i'm looking for!!!! Does anybody know anyone that still sells them online??? I've looked on Craigslist denver and ebay and thus far have not had any luck....also can a big like me ride those (i'm 6, 2") or are the better for shorter folks and youngsters....also kingsting mentioned something about the "hubs" as the weeks points...do you mean the wheel hubs are something else? Thanks for all the tips and insights everyone...i really want one of these sooooo bad!!!!! :D

Also, how tall is the bike? Again.... Trying to get a sense if this is something that I can actually ride (im 6ft 2 inches tall) or if it would be for my kids... thanks for all of your fe 8) edback!

Thanks, the brake was a dilemma after I put the 5 speed on it, but it ended up working fine...

As for the height of the bike, it was big enough for me to ride with some modification of the
handlebar/stem combination I'm almost 6 feet. 8)

Here is a closeup of the stem which gave me a few inches of 'stretch' comfort while riding.
stem.jpg

WOW! I LOVE IT. This is exactly what i want! Thanks for the head's up on the handlebar and fork mod....makes sense that they will allow for a taller rider...If i can track one down, i will be doing the same! Thanks again mastronaut! 8)

mastronaut said:
They are good quality and very modifier friendly... 8)

M7909A9.jpg

i looked up these pics when i got mine. i remembered it from the old schwinn forums. there was also a guy who put a spoiler fork on his. i've also seen the pics on the bike forums in the alt bikes section. i think he was called sideshowbob?

i know they're roomier than a black friday krate. i have them sitting side by side in the garage right now. i thought i read that the bfk is a little smaller than the old krate frame though, so i don't know if it's bigger than the old ones too.

2006 Schwinn Manta Ray
SchwinnMantaRay5-14-140022_zpsf2394366.jpg

Animal hub and bottom bracket bearings; OCC Stingray 44-Tooth crank set; OCC Stingray front wheel and tire; Sturmey Archer 16-Tooth drive cog; Salsa handgrips; Bontrager bar end plugs; Zéfal LED’s front and rear; finally, an original Wald handlebar from a 70’s Sears girl’s muscle bike.

Drive Train Specifications:
44-Tooth Crank
16-Tooth Drive Cog
60.5 Gear Inches

It was bought new at the local WallyWorld in the fall(?) of '06 and I paid just $95- because the seat nut was missing on the sissybar's right side!

She is a fun and comfortable ride indeed!

Sorry pros/vets i know that the 70's original versions (of the Manta Ray's) are much coveted. But I REALLY like these updated models (ESPECIALLY the Manta Rays)! I mean at least they look really cool...Does anybody have one?
How are they? Well Built?
How do they handle? Are they "mod" friendly?
I know they no longer make them so where can i still get them?
Also, i'm a tall guy 6, 2' so are they out of the question for tall riders? If so...that's ok i'll still probably pick them up for my kids...thanks! :mrgreen:
Have you been able to find one?

008_zps40e948a0.jpg

A brief update: Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease was used in the bottom bracket, headset and wheel hubs, the result has been a noticeable decrease in rolling friction in those areas. Some might consider this application a bit of overkill, but the thought of rust ruining this bike is an unacceptable option. The addition of an LED Zéfal Deluxe headlight and taillight has increased visibility while riding at night – WOW are those LED’s bright! The head light has an adjustable beam feature that allows it to go from narrow to broad!

An unashamed promo!
001_zpsed4d4f86.jpg
:D

And just in case you were wondering – I did not receive any endorsement compensation from any of the aforementioned manufacturers. :happy:

These '06 Manta-Ray's are comfortable, relatively large and highly customizable - great rides indeed!

What were the original wheels size wise? 100mm x ? I like the bullmoose stem w/apes. You really don't see many of these.

Latest posts

Back