24" Sears Spyder found

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this bike at Hot August swap meet last Saturday for $175. I never seen this bike before and couldn't get it out of my mind while shopping down the alley. I just had to get it Cuz it's too cool and it's prefect size 24" for me to ride. I'm planning to mildly or lightly customize it. Not sure, I would like to see more pictures of custom spyder bikes.

SU1BRzAzNzguanBn.jpg

My dad think I overpaid it but I think $175 is about at right range. Really I don't care about price Cuz it's too cool and my goal won't be original. I do have couple questions. Is it possible I can swap rim ring to fit 24x2.125 rear tire and still have 5 speeds? Will 26" Springer fork fit? With 20 front wheel, will it to be too low to pedal?

With that original stick shifter and chain guard, i think you did VERY well on the price. Your frame resembles a spaceliner. I had a Sears Spyder 500 when I was a kid. it had butterfly bars and a banana seat, but was otherwise all road bike. it had no chain guard and had stem mounted shifters.

The 26" springer with a 20" wheel would work well, but I don't think the wider tire will fit without some modifications to the frame.

bikecollectordave said:
The 26" springer with a 20" wheel would work well, but I don't think the wider tire will fit without some modifications to the frame.

Ok, what kind modification am I looking at to make 2.125 rear work? I was thinking about do rear suspension modify by moving rear wheel further rear without cutting or grind the frame. Then relocate brake brackets moving along with rear wheel find 24x2.125 rear fender but I dunno if 5 speeds will still work or not.

bikes006.jpg

This bike has an attachment called a "Shockster" It was made for mountian bikes to add rear suspension, I never thought it was heavy duty enough for a mountian bike but it works well on a chopper. Something like this would move the rear wheel back far enough to allow for a wider tire. The problem is that it attaches to the frame by the post that the brakes normally attach. That frame does not have a way to attach something like that but you might find a donor frame to cut off the back section and find a way to bolt it to the frame. Finding a way to put both brakes on the back wheel might be a challenge. Post some pictures , I'm interested to see how it turns out. This site is a good source for ideas when you get stuck.

bikecollectordave said:
bikes006.jpg

This bike has an attachment called a "Shockster" It was made for mountian bikes to add rear suspension, I never thought it was heavy duty enough for a mountian bike but it works well on a chopper. Something like this would move the rear wheel back far enough to allow for a wider tire. The problem is that it attaches to the frame by the post that the brakes normally attach. That frame does not have a way to attach something like that but you might find a donor frame to cut off the back section and find a way to bolt it to the frame. Finding a way to put both brakes on the back wheel might be a challenge. Post some pictures , I'm interested to see how it turns out. This site is a good source for ideas when you get stuck.
would you happen to have a up close pics of this fork.. that thing is sick!!!

I was once trying to buy a shockster on EBAY but was outbid. I haven't seen any on EBAY since. You can occasionally find clamp-on brake posts that would help with mounting the shockster.

bikecollectordave said:
bikes006.jpg

This bike has an attachment called a "Shockster" It was made for mountian bikes to add rear suspension, I never thought it was heavy duty enough for a mountian bike but it works well on a chopper. Something like this would mowowve the rear wheel back far enough to allow for a wider tire. The problem is that it attaches to the frame by the post that the brakes normally attach. That frame does not have a way to attach something like that but you might find a donor frame to cut off the back section and find a way to bolt it to the frame. Finding a way to put both brakes on the back wheel might be a challenge. Post some pictures , I'm interested to see how it turns out. This site is a good source for ideas when you get stuck.

wow that bike is sick! Thanks for a advice!

bikecollectordave said:
bikes006.jpg

Finding a way to put both brakes on the back wheel might be a challenge. Post some pictures , I'm interested to see how it turns out. This site is a good source for ideas when you get stuck.

if you took it that far and were able to hunt one up. you could try this

Picture073-1.jpg

wouldn't be exactly the same, but still both levers would go to the rear brake. i have one on my remake attempt at my old 24" spyder. i've only seen a few with two cable stops, but if there were room on a regular one, maybe you could drill and tap a second one.

freddyfingaz said:
bikecollectordave said:

Ok, what kind modification am I looking at to make 2.125 rear work? I was thinking about do rear suspension modify by moving rear wheel further rear without cutting or grind the frame. Then relocate brake brackets moving along with rear wheel find 24x2.125 rear fender but I dunno if 5 speeds will still work or not.

I really hope that you go for a rear suspension mod. Check out my Flex-Liner 7 and Bon's Flexmaster builds for tips. You really have to put a lot of engineering thought into a rear suspension though. For instance, where to put the brakes if the back end flexes? That is why I went with a Nexus 7 IGH and coaster brake setup.

Just remember FLEXY IS SEXY!!!!!!! We need more rear suspension bikes!

Philphine said:
bikecollectordave said:
bikes006.jpg

Finding a way to put both brakes on the back wheel might be a challenge. Post some pictures , I'm interested to see how it turns out. This site is a good source for ideas when you get stuck.

if you took it that far and were able to hunt one up. you could try this

Picture073-1.jpg

wouldn't be exactly the same, but still both levers would go to the rear brake. i have one on my remake attempt at my old 24" spyder. i've only seen a few with two cable stops, but if there were room on a regular one, maybe you could drill and tap a second one.

I'm sorry. I'm little confused what are try saying? By the way, this would be my first bike build. So my bike vocabulary is lack. Lol

kingfish254 said:
freddyfingaz said:
bikecollectordave said:

I really hope that you go for a rear suspension mod. Check out my Flex-Liner 7 and Bon's Flexmaster builds for tips. You really have to put a lot of engineering thought into a rear suspension though. For instance, where to put the brakes if the back end flexes? That is why I went with a Nexus 7 IGH and coaster brake setup.

Just remember FLEXY IS SEXY!!!!!!! We need more rear suspension bikes!

Actually your bike is where I got rear suspension idea from. I'm machinist and Im sure I able to make rear suspension. Don't worry I won't copy exactly same as yours. Lol. Yes, I just found out last night your bike has 7 speed wheel hub with modification old school shifter and coaster brake. Now, it makes lot sense. I actually thought u only have one speed with shifter for looks. I really want to try keep double rear brakes. I think I might have some ideas.

freddyfingaz said:
I'm sorry. I'm little confused what are try saying? By the way, this would be my first bike build. So my bike vocabulary is lack. Lol

sorry it wasn't clearer. i was just tagging an idea onto another idea.

your stock bike has two rear caliper brakes. bikecollectordave was showing you the rear suspension setup and mentioned it may put the wheel out of position for the stock brakes to work.

what i showed is a spin on drum brake like what would go on a flip flop hub. this particular one has cable stops for two cables. so if you were to try the rear suspension bikecollectordave showed, or something like it, and the stock brake setup didn't work afterward, this brake would let you use your two brake levers on the rear wheel like it is now.

Philphine said:
freddyfingaz said:

sorry it wasn't clearer. i was just tagging an idea onto another idea.

your stock bike has two rear caliper brakes. bikecollectordave was showing you the rear suspension setup and mentioned it may put the wheel out of position for the stock brakes to work.

what i showed is a spin on drum brake like what would go on a flip flop hub. this particular one has cable stops for two cables. so if you were to try the rear suspension bikecollectordave showed, or something like it, and the stock brake setup didn't work afterward, this brake would let you use your two brake levers on the rear wheel like it is now.

Many thanks, I'm open to any ideas. That is other way to do.

Latest posts

Back