26" J.C.Higgins bike, serial# A1787863, model# 505 45410. Need a year it was made. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found me a J.C.Higgins bike, big tires, serial # A1787863, model # 505 45410. Need help with a date made and any other info possible. Thanks in advance.

20220421_115214.jpg

Some of the initial clues:

J.C. Higgins brand was post war through ~'64, after that they were just 'Sears'...pre war, Elgin.

Sears contracted bikes from most of the American manufacturers in this era. What gives this away as Monark built is chain ring design, mono-seat stay, cigarette box BB to chain stay junction.

Monark used aluminum tags under the BB from (I think) '47 to '54.

Then...the important part...there's a couple threads on thecabe that have serial number info. I'm sure much of the serial info is probably on RRB as well, but I know where it's at on thecabe.

The longer you are on these forums and the more old bikes/frames you pick up (aka hoard) the more info you'll store away in the cabeza. :rockout:

Latest posts

Back