26" Wheelset Help!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The axle diameter will probably be different if you put a modern coaster set on a vintage bike. If it’s an old bike and you put on modern wheels you will almost certainly have to file flat spots the front wheel axle to make it narrow enough to fit the fork drops. You will also have to spread the fork as modern hubs are wider (most are now 100 mm) than the vintage ones. It’s doable and the cheapest way to go, but if you want it to be non jury rigged go with custom built wheels. I usually buy a used big box store Huffy and take off the wheels, file the axles and spread the fork. These newer Huffy wheels are alloy and not steel so it might not be the look you’re after. If you get new steel rims do research. I have yet to find modern ones that don’t easily bend. A few years ago I bought a new steel coaster wheel with 11 gauge spokes. I did a coaster brake hockey stop and the wheel folded. Old steel rims didn’t do this so the rim was too lightly built. I wonder if they make heavy duty steel industrial bike wheels, but the axle fork issue would be the same problem? Good alloy mountain bike rims are very durable, but don’t have the classic look. Personally, if it’s a vintage frame, for durability I would lace up double walled mountain bike rims with a Shimano E110 coaster hub and a NOS 96 mm vintage hub. Bearings could easily be sourced if the front hub ever needed it and the E110 is modern and parts are easily found. Measure first.

Last edited:
Not the best, but a good selection of the basics.
https://www.huskybicycles.com/26-wheels.html
If you want the biggest baddest steel coaster wheels, you want some Worksman industrial wheels. Used to be a parts section on their site, but I can't find it now
https://www.worksmancycles.com/
https://www.worksmancycles.com/media/2021/2021FACTORYDIRECTPartsPrices.pdf
Looks like they don't have online ordering. One would have to figure out what one needs, or call them to help you figure it out, then order over the phone.

Last edited:
Just last year I learned how to make up a wheel. I shoulda done that years ago, it isn't hard to do. I lace them up and let the local shop true them up, it's cheap here.
But if I had to pay a lot for truing, I would get a truing stand and do it myself also.

You can choose what rim, spokes, and hub for your own wheelset. I prefer stainless spokes with 3 or 4 cross lacing pattern, and the best hub I can get. There are plenty to choose from.

But for the toughest set of wheels, I would agree with the above posts and contact Worksman and see how much a set is. They have chrome and alloy sets. One of the members here occasionally has a good wheelset or frameset for sale cheap. Check the for sale section.

It is good to have an American manufacturer who believes in people fixing their products. Worksman Parts and Accessories are on the main page under Product Support then chose: Owners Manual, Parts Lists, Videos. I've had to order replacement parts from them before and they have everything that goes on any Worksman Model. Wish all bicycle companies were as complete as Worksman.

It is good to have an American manufacturer who believes in people fixing their products. Worksman Parts and Accessories are on the main page under Product Support then chose: Owners Manual, Parts Lists, Videos. I've had to order replacement parts from them before and they have everything that goes on any Worksman Model. Wish all bicycle companies were as complete as Worksman.

I couldn't agree more. I called Worksman and they said they absolutely take orders for wheelsets only, although they are currently experiencing longer than usual lead times due to demand (which is a good thing!).

I see a Worksman cruiser in my near future.....

Latest posts

Back