27.5 Klunker Kat : Komplete!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If that article (which I won't read purely based on it's title) is written for roadies, then it is moot to our discussion here. Traction, high frequency bump absorption, suspension, rotating wheel weight savings (the bigger the tire, the more the savings; my fat bike when I went tubeless lost 5 lbs of rotating weight!) and ultimate pressure control are all benefits. If these rims were capable for running tubeless I would have done it. They were wide, cheap, and disc ready, that's why I bought them.

I have a tubeless set up on my gravel / road bike. I really like the ride they produce on pavement as well as trail. Are they faster than tubed tires? I don't care. I'm not fast, so my bike doesn't have to be. :grin:
Agreed. They want to argue over less than a watt of gain, let them

Lol in one of the articles I wasted my time reading, they were arguing over percentage of a watt, not even the full unit! Nuts.
Sorry if I took your thread down the tunnel with me, OddJob. I was shocked when Cap mentioned rolling resistance, I never imagined there would be a difference.

BRE, yes, I'm running tubes in this as the rims aren't tubeless ready, so I can't go as low psi as I would like. But I do run them around 30 psi to give a little natural suspension from the tires. Hopefully today I will have time to ride it over to the more challenging trail system and give it a go! Good to hear from you, we missed you in this year's Build Off.

Thanks Oddjob, appreciate you pointing that out.
Right now our lives have been quite busy and did not have the time (and timing) to enter the build off. I occasionally post some project updates but do not respond that much to the other neat builds that are going on on this forum right now, due to the time limit.

Right now we are looking for a life outside the Netherlands, selling our house, quitting my job and move to Scandinavia ;)

OJ, any singletrack ride videos or reports?
KCI, it's like the late '80s early '90s all over again! Knees and elbows sprung, hanging off the back, pedaling like crazy. Amazing how much a fully suspended bike lets you carry through stuff as it absorbs bumps and doesn't slow your mo. I find myself taking different lines on this. Love the tractiion of the big, knobby , shoes. Got it fitting me well. I'll try to set up for some simgletrack vids.

Those rigid bike lines often translate to Ludicrous Speed on the squishy bikes. The thing I enjoy most about the retro riding is using the advantages of any a-tech piece of trail to go faster than most would on a squish.

Post-Ride, I oil up with CBD and my suspension components (knees, elbows and shoulders) are always ready for the next outing.

When you video it up, seeing some rips through a-tech turns with that setup should be fun. Tire Buzz on those fatties fer daze.

Here's s couple kwik klips on the bike this afternoon for @Karate Chicken Industries and other interested parties. Mild trail across the pond from the BACK40.

Screenshot_20210926-163645_kindlephoto-364952346.png

@OddJob here's an update on my friends one I've nearly finished, had to drill a hole for rear brake as it was designed for coaster brake only, just got to put on a front disk brake and grips, my new bulk buying item is the stick on cable guides, had to take about 5mm underneath the fork arch as the tire rubbed, so bit of filing and some matt black paint to cover it up, job done
IMG_20211009_185516.jpg
IMG_20211009_185539.jpg
IMG_20211009_185551.jpg
IMG_20211009_185557.jpg
IMG_20211009_185714.jpg

@Endlesschain , all looks good! I like the way those tires fill up the frame and fork. And those cable guides are slick. He should really dig this!

@Endlesschain , all looks good! I like the way those tires fill up the frame and fork. And those cable guides are slick. He should really dig this!
Thanks, it's very cool and super cruisy to ride, feels like your riding a monster but its light and easy to pedal and ride, I had about 4 new 27.5 suntour forks but used them on for sale bikes, one of them would have been cool, he has a 27.5 fork but the steerer is too short, I still think everything look proportionate and glad that for the most part the tyres fitted with only the slight modification

Latest posts

Back