Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please excuse the atrocious pictures, it was dark and rainy when I got home, but I just wanted to document it SOMEHOW. (Throwing in some photos from the build process since the pretty colors got washed out.)

Mechanically 'finished' for the moment, but I desperately need to raise the handlebars to accommodate my stork-legs. I was practically sitting criss-cross for the test ride. I may have to abandon the banana seat and sissy bar and just mount a seat tube, but I'm not sure about reinforcing the frame, since it lacks an actual triangle. I also need to either get disc tabs welded on or try my luck at mounting caliper brakes.
BUT... it's rideable for the moment.
Also needs more anodized purple.

Part recommendations on raising the handlebar?
A shout out to Rideable Bicycle Replicas for hooking me up with the fork.

IMG_20210901_195348728.jpg
IMG_20210901_195406783.jpg
received_265302002033491.jpeg
received_1375836566131176.jpeg

But then this happened from just a short test ride.
IMG_20210906_170258095.jpg

Felt super wobbly trying to pedal it, even on level dry ground. I'm not sure if it was the handlebars and stem coming out of alignment, or just that I still need the handlebars higher in order to be able to pedal with any stability.

I'll try to get my wife to help me with a video of me riding, but my knees aren't just coming up too high, they're VERY close in by the fork/frame. I need the base, clamp area, of the handlebars elevated. The flat bars (because you'll get that purple away from me when you pry it from my cold dead hands) aren't the problem themselves.

I think the seating arrangement is another source of the problem. This frame was built up specifically for an electric front wheel, with my feet never meant to be anywhere other than the rear pegs (base of the sissy bar). Not sure if there's an adjustment of the existing seat that will matter, or if I'm just going to have to cut the frame, weld in a seat tube (not that I'm sure of where along the frame would be best...), and try to have it ready for a standard bicycle seat.

...my knees aren't just coming up too high, they're VERY close in by the fork/frame. I need the base, clamp area, of the handlebars elevated.
Well, there are long quill stems...like on my Worksman...
106385_482717029736f568530616b831ddb081.jpg

...there is the Origin 8 classic ATB stem...
41tQEVpPtEL._AC_SX425_.jpg

...there are threadless to quill adapters to make use of the myraid rise/length threadless stems (some even purple anodized!) ...
160309-02_1_0d350a7e-09b7-4c33-941b-f21e2a53a109_600x.jpg

...also available in extended...
Ultracycle-31-079-040-rgb_00d03765-4847-43cd-bde5-1f240fcfb5e7_1000x.jpg

Options galore :bigsmile:.

Well, there are long quill stems...like on my Worksman...

...there is the Origin 8 classic ATB stem...

...there are threadless to quill adapters to make use of the myraid rise/length threadless stems (some even purple anodized!) ...

...also available in extended...

Options galore :bigsmile:.
Thank! I'm still at the stage where I can picture what I'm looking for, but can't for the life of me figure out the terminology.

The current setup is for a 1" threaded steerer tube. Will I still find options within that area?

Thank! I'm still at the stage where I can picture what I'm looking for, but can't for the life of me figure out the terminology.

The current setup is for a 1" threaded steerer tube. Will I still find options within that area?
That last extender that @RustyGold posted is for a 1" steerer, but you have to watch your ID of the fork. You'll find 21.1 as well as 22.2 inside diameters.

That particular type of quill extender comes in some really long styles like up to 8"+ of extension. Available on amazon

Latest posts

Back