2ND ANNUAL RRB AUCTION BIKE - We need YOUR ideas!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 2ND ANNUAL RRB AUCTION BIKE - need ideas'n'stuff!

Maybe the parts can inspire the direction....heres a little different seat...that Ive been saving for a build that Im probably never going to ever get around to. But if you go in this direction....its donated if not its a dust collector...again..lol
Terry
cafeseat.jpg

jezusjonz said:
Maybe the parts can inspire the direction....heres a little different seat...that Ive been saving for a build that Im probably never going to ever get around to. But if you go in this direction....its donated if not its a dust collector...again..lol
Terry

That's a thought Terry...

Could be fun not knowing what we're gonna end up with. However, aren't you afraid the build will end up like a jumble of odd parts? I know I am... Or... Something ugly? I know I know, rats are supposed to be ugly. But, a good kind of ugly ofcourse... I'm guessing people have more fun dreaming up their own bikes and come up with ideas for this build and choose a final sketch for the actual build in a poll we're gonna set up when I have the final designs rather than sending out parts just to wait and see what's going to be used...

But...
Seeing your pic. Cafe-racer springs in mind... It reminds me of an idea I'd like to share...

One of my ideas...

roadbike_1.jpg

^ This is not a good example but you'll get the idea. I know ^this^ is kind of an ugly bike...

A few weeks back I was discussing my idea of a build based on roadracingmotorcycle styling. All within a ratrod-frame though. Not wandering too much off of the hotrod styling we love ofcourse. I think it could come out very cool and it would be very original, I'm sure. Dont know if it can be pulled off with a lot of members involved but for myself I'd like to try one day. I came upon this idea after seeing guys building up a basman frame the conventional way.

Hmmm, I can feel your doubts guys... but...
That it IS POSSIBLE to end up with a cool bike has been proved by master custombikebulder Goldammer:

roadbike_2.jpg

^ Maybe a tad too modern for us, but I think overall this is a gorgious, highly original, and very refreshing custom bike. I think Goldammer won a prestigious custom bike trophy with this bike. Saw it on the Discovery Channel.

Imagine this bike with a vintage paintjob,vintage racing numbers/lettering/stickers, and cream or whitewall tires...
Or that Jerald whitewall slick... Like it's build in the 50's.

But I think we'll need a stretched frame of som sort for this idea. Like I said. A Basman would probaly do the trick...
I hope to come up with a good sketch to explain what I mean...

Here's a better pic of the frame as it sits in the rafters.

2eoxo2t.jpg

Wildcat said:
Here's a better pic of the frame as it sits in the rafters.

2ey7xoh.jpg

Is it just me...?
...or is this a rare frame style? I know: To me EVERY vintage midcentury Amercan framestyle is kind of exotic, but I don't think I've seen this one that often. Even on these pages... Is it very rare? It certainly can't be called 'an over done trend' ;-)

Love it!
(btw: is this that same white frame painted red? Should I replace this pic with the previous one?)

That's the same frame as the earlier pic. It's a Ross frame, made by Chain bike corp. Coast to Coast dept stores sold them. I got this from my friend's junkyard years ago. it may have been a Coast King Riviera, it's hard to say. That's the original cranks, pedals and sprocket, but that's it. Do a search here for Coast King Riviera and you'll see the complete bike. I don't think it's that rare, but you don't see many of them around. It takes 26 inch wheels and the frame size is about 17 inches, too small for me.

edit: I resized the pic so it would all fit.

Man, a cafe racer made with that frame and the loaf seat would be cool. Add a triple tree fork and a couple of old stems turned into clip-ons for low handlebars. You're talking the next-gen boardtracker stuff here! :mrgreen:

Triple tree fork or a custom girder... I'm in for a custom fork build if it heads that way. I've been saving up old suspension fork crowns, unfortunatly they are 1.125" but I'm sure I can track down a 1" before summer. Most of you have seen my forks but check out my other posts if you haven't.

IMGP6581.jpg

"So... If we end up with no tires at all, while we need whitewalls... can we count on you to deliver blackwalls painted white?" Sure thing . Like many members , I have a stash of cool parts , and want to be a part of the next build off . I'll get some pic's of some stuff I can offer , and if one of the parts , or services fits the bill , then great , if not , and someone else's parts work , that's great too . Not to diss that cool loaf seat , but I have a really cool seat that would be great on a Cafe bike .

Dr. Tankenstein said:
You're talking the next-gen boardtracker stuff here! :mrgreen:

Sounds good to me!
As long as it's (slightly) out of the box thinking to bring it onto another level.

@ PVWacko.
Awesome. Custom stuff will always have the edge. So, can I write your name next to the word 'fork' on the parts-list? 8)

---

NOTE: Just like the ideas written down in this thread, the names on the parts-list are NOT binding. If you want to join: please do. If you want out, that will be okay too I guess. If there are others that want to donate a part that's already on the list please tell us, so we (all) can decide what to choose when the the start of the build draws near...

NOTE 2: If I say stupid things or use the wrong english words... PLEASE TELL ME
] :oops:

For some reason this came to me as an idea for this build. I think the "style" is what I'm liking on these old Airstream trailers. The bare metal look is neat too.
1965Airstreamatnight001.jpg

That's a great AS. is it yours?

btw: excellent idea :wink:

When I first finished it.
DSC03128.jpg

I even made one for Boy
IMG00048-20090711-1810.jpg

heres a shot of Boy and me recreating that old sales photo in my avatar.
DSC03398.jpg

a bike is never done. I added a rat trap this summer.
IMG00240-20100404-1719.jpg

dogdart said:
"So... If we end up with no tires at all, while we need whitewalls... can we count on you to deliver blackwalls painted white?" Sure thing . Like many members , I have a stash of cool parts , and want to be a part of the next build off . I'll get some pic's of some stuff I can offer , and if one of the parts , or services fits the bill , then great , if not , and someone else's parts work , that's great too . Not to diss that cool loaf seat , but I have a really cool seat that would be great on a Cafe bike .

Ah... Dogdart,
You beat me to it... That's exactly what I mean in my note in my previous post: Bike first, Donator Second. But we're just two days 'on the road', so anything can change.

I'm looking forward to that pic with all the parts of yours. That's a fantastic idea. Hope future potential participants will follow with theirs...

@ BrunneCustoms.
Cool idea. Maybe take it one step further and do an ArtDeco/Streamline ratrod kinda build. "Hoodlum Chique". 8)

@ That'smytruck.
Oh yeah! 8) But I feel it may be a bit extremer. Sort of an "Extreamliner" Get it? :wink:

herr_rudolf said:
@ PVWacko.
Awesome. Custom stuff will always have the edge. So, can I write your name next to the word 'fork' on the parts-list? 8)

Sure! Like you say lets not box ourselves in... if someone else has something better that's fine. I've just been watching the goldammer bikes as well and like his style. Feel like I need to recreate a few of his rides but with pedals!

Not my AS. I wish it was, they are really cool. Great bike btw thatismytruck I totally forgot I had seen your pictures of your bike before.
Even this as an idea would be neat
mack-diner-1-kw1.jpg

I just like the look of the 50's era. Diners, cars, everything. I know there are a bunch of bikes out there with similar styling but I was thinking the design that they didn't think of... know what I mean?

rodandcustom1-vi.jpg

^ another one of my ideas:

Make it a tribute to one of the HOTROD milestones.

When I was playing around and graphic-designing the Rustrocket gallerythread it came to me that we could do the same what ROD & CUSTOM Magazine did in the late fifties: The Dreamtruck project: Build a custom based on the ideas of the readers of the magazine. It's exactly what we're doing today!

dreamtruck_2.jpg

dreamtruck_4.jpg

But there are many other milestone hotrods:

kookie_kar_2.jpg

^ Kookie Kar

alakart.jpg

^ Tha Ala Kart - I absolutely love love LOVE this one!

Then there is the 'piss yella' Deuce Coupe' which starred in American Graffiti.
...or the California Kid.
...or the Super Bell Coupe - it's another favorite of mine.
...or...

I think I could go on and on with this idea... but you'll probably get my point.

@ BrunneCustoms:
What about an ArtDeco/Streamline inspired tribute build based on the 1935 SoCal Ford:
So_cal_plating_ford_phaeton.jpg

^ I see my aluminumstrips-idea from my Billet Bullet bike (rack) playing a big part in this one...

Good that your thinking isn't restricted to bikes only. Art Deco is a valid style to base the bike upon... Including these sort of diners you've posted.
ESPECIALLY these diners... 8)

if it is a scratch built i got the headtube, bb, and dropouts

start on some concept drawings

if time permits maybe some framework locked in the jig

gday all, this is what i like about this site, everyones ideas are looked at, thought about and not ridiculed. overall respect i think. I think the ross frame is cool, it would look great in black fire fly metal flake, chrome forks, and a fat rear skinny front, yeah, i like the drag bike idea! chrome rims and white walls. some pinstriping would be cool also..... this could go on and on.......

suparoospeedway said:
gday all, this is what i like about this site, everyones ideas are looked at, thought about and not ridiculed. overall respect i think.

I don't wanna sound cheezy or something but I feel strongly that anybody who's willing to take time to think about the build and come up with ideas, and maybe donate parts should be taken serious. At this stage of brainstorming ANY idea could grow into a fantastic idea. Seriously. At the moment were just trying to generate several different directions this bike could take. Not thinking much about details yet. One idea that seems to be not the best could generate another idea that could be the best. We're trying to gradually build up these ideas, to have enough material for me to visualize the different styles.

sicnick said:
if it is a scratch built, i got the headtube, bb, and dropouts.

start on some concept drawings

if time permits maybe some framework locked in the jig

Wow sicnic!
I don't know what to say. A custom frame would be awesome... Very generous, sir.

However, we've decided that the annual auctionrat should be representing the spirit of this forum. With the all american traditional hotrod in the back of our heads. And that means using a vintage frame if possible. Mostly stock, just to keep that vintage vibe. Anything else can (or maybe should) be custom made...

But I think we'll definately keep you in mind. Like I said earlier: We're just brainstorming right now, and if the bike of choice demands a scratchbuilt frame, we'll be knocking on your door. (take for example my roadracemotorcycle idea... That could certainly use a stretched/scratchbuilt frame...)

I will not start on drawings yet. We want more people come up with different ideas. If I start now, I'll probably feel I have to keep on drawing EVERY little idea and suggestion anybody comes up with up till july. All these ideas still have to be thought out before I can pick up a pencil, otherwise they're gonna be too much of MY ideas. I could start sketching my own ideas but I won't show them until I've sketched most of the other ideas we think are valid directions for this build.

Hope that makes sense...

---

Still need some more basic ideas guys!

Latest posts

Back