3 piece crank disassembly

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did that once using regular tools and a wedge of wood to break the crank arms free, but it was a hassle and could have wrecked the parts. I have the crank puller tool now, it's a must have.

I did that once using regular tools and a wedge of wood to break the crank arms free, but it was a hassle and could have wrecked the parts. I have the crank puller tool now, it's a must have.
100% agreed

Ahh, 20" fat bike. First guess using Google is it's going to be a square taper setup needing a puller

The correct bike tools are a must, IMHO. Otherwise, you risk mangling parts...and knuckles!
These are what I use and have found to be especially serviceable:

Park Tool HCW-11 Slotted Bottom Bracket Adjusting Cup Wrench Tool 16 mm

Park Tool (109917) HCW-5 Lock Spanner

PARK TOOL (109916) HCW-4 Box End and Pin Spanner Crank Wrench (36mm)

Oumers Bike Crank Extractor/Arm Remover and Bottom Bracket Remover with 16mm Spanner/Wrench. Professional Bicycle Repair Tool Kit

Your local bike shop may have some of these in-stock for purchase, and there are other tool brands available, such as Pedros that I have found to be of good quality.

Also, a nice 2 foot long (or longer) section of sturdy pipe comes in handy to slip over wrench handles to gain extra leverage for those especially stubborn bits requiring more persuasion!

Penetrating oil/solvent and heat (like a propane torch plumbers use to sweat copper) come in handy as well.

That's the only park tool I have. I've used it many times so it's worth the extra dough. I remember when I pulled a 3 piece crankset without it. I bought a Mongoose Beast that had no lubrication and everything was out of adjustment, and it was the best one they had. I loosened the crank bearings and used a hammer to knock the spindle loose from the crank arm like a cotter pin. The other side I left together as I pulled it out. A lot of work.

The best way to loosen a freewheel is to clamp the remover tool in a sturdy vise, then use the wheel itself to wrest the the cluster from its death grip.
I do not agree with that, especially after seeing a vise fail when someone at a bike shop would not listen to me. I pin the tool in place with a nut on the axle or with a QR, hold the wheel upright, (with the tire still on and inflated to max pressure) and smack the small breaker bar I use for this with a big rubber mallet until it breaks free. Never Fails

I have an axle nut ground down to fit inside freewheel tools. Thread it on to retain the freewheel tool but leave enough gap that the freewheel can back off.

I normally use a vice, but have had to resort to freewheel tool bolted on and a breaker bar.

Also cut thru freewheels with a 4" grinder on the gear so I could clamp the rest in a vice - pain in the butt.

Park Tool has a recall on 3 crank pullers, I seen it last week when I was ordering some parts, don’t remember which ones, but go to website, I think it was listed under the documentation. But they replacing some models.

68F2C59A-8681-483F-8566-B5940337CC3D.png
68F2C59A-8681-483F-8566-B5940337CC3D.png

I do not agree with that, especially after seeing a vise fail when someone at a bike shop would not listen to me. I pin the tool in place with a nut on the axle or with a QR, hold the wheel upright, (with the tire still on and inflated to max pressure) and smack the small breaker bar I use for this with a big rubber mallet until it breaks free. Never Fails
^^^ This ^^^

Latest posts

Back