3 Speed Thumb Shifter Into A Stick Shifter?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever try to turn a Sturmey Archer 3 speed thumb shifter into a stick shift?

I know there are stick shifters available but the thumb shifters are less than $20 which is why I got one of them. Especially at $50 to over $100 that I have seen for new & old one's.

It's for a Murray X24 frame and the rest of the parts minus the wheels & brakes that I got a few years ago. I plan on using 60's 24 inch Schwinn wheels with a SA AW 3 speed rear hub on it and want a stick shift for it.

I've thought of doing this myself, would be interesting to see if anyone has done it.

There are stick shift out there that work with SA hubs
Raliegh had some and others too

Found it:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/post-your-custom-shifters.34748/page-5
b22514a269e2b1ecb97c8919f6fb8f30.jpg

9c53fb0bd13fb4262bfe74f9bf8622a5.jpg

I think @GuitarlCarl tried one a while back...I vaguely remember a chicken foot being involved :grin:. I think he ran into issues with too much weight with the extended shifter, but can't remember if he came up with a solution.

Jason
VoilĂ  (same thread as above, page 4)
index.php

With chicken foot:
index.php

Originally made by @GuitarlCarl for the MBBO #4 build "Cycledelic"
The shifter I made for Cycledelic actually worked very well, it was lightweight. But I never liked the "boot" I made to go around it. And I never really liked the look of the shaft bolted to the thumb shifter itself. It wasn't clean. So aesthetically it was a failure even though mechanically it worked fine. That whole bike just didn't turn out as I had it in my head and has since been dismantled. (although I still have the bat...)

Carl.

Here's a look that I liked. I used it on ALiEN FiRE, it's not a thumb shift, but the same adaptation could be used.
AF7.JPEG

I tapped the shift handle, and the connecting nut and machine screwed them together with copper tube spacers. The T handle is from a bass kickdrum. (on a side note the headlight is a plasma ball)

Carl.

Latest posts

Back