3" tire on 86mm rim

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I'm getting some 86mm 26" rims and wonder if my 26 x 3.0 tires might work on them. Has anyone done that and had any success?

Not the most reliable source, but I found a 26*3 (76mm) rim listed on amazon. Had the following in the ad:

"FITMENT: These rims will only fit bicycle frames and forks that are designed to fit 3". Compatible with 26" x 3", 26" x 3.5", and 26" x 4" tires and inner tubes"

I would bet that they would fit fine, but never tried personally.

I put 2.125 tires (54mm) on 57 mm rims and they do fine. 57mm is 2.50 inches so the rim is a tiny bit wider.
9 Apr 22 - Copy.jpg

3 inches is 76.2 mm, leaving about 5mm extra on each side. I'll see how that works out when my new rims get here. They were on sale of course, and I can't get the 57mm rims anymore.

I miss having Amazon as a supplier, the shipping cost is out of this world here. I have two websites akin to Amazon, here: Shopee and Lazada. But they mostly have all the same generic Chinese made parts like the bike shops here.

Those look like 25mm rims. The Kenda Flames look good. I bought a few sets of those a few years ago before the prices shot up. The Wanda 3 inch WW tires I have are going for 60 plus bucks now. In 2019 they were 38 bucks a pair on sale.

I used two 30mm rims together to make a 60mm rim. I'm anxious to see how the tires fit the 86mm rims.

front two.JPG

One bar is 14.5 psi? I noticed on my 2.125 tire on a 57mm rim, it was low on air but still rode well. I'll see how low the 3" tire will go and still hold it's shape and ride well. I also have to cover the big holes in the rims without spending a fortune on rim strips. With lower pressure I may not need that much cover for the holes.

1649651421229.png

Looks like a good fit, but my whitewalls have turned brown. I might leave them that way. If I don't find a classic frame before the build off, I'll make something out of these.

86mm.jpg

I have used 3" Surley tire on 85mm rims ?
View attachment 191298
Those look like about 45-50mm rims. Mine are working out ok. I wasn't sure if 15 psi would be enough, but on the wide rims the tires don't need much air to work fine. These only have 15 psi and carry my weight well.
done 23 apr 22.jpg

The 2.125 tires on my silver 57mm rims also run at a lower psi.
4 Apr 22 SBMA.jpg

Those look like about 45-50mm rims. Mine are working out ok. I wasn't sure if 15 psi would be enough, but on the wide rims the tires don't need much air to work fine. These only have 15 psi and carry my weight well.
View attachment 191313

The 2.125 tires on my silver 57mm rims also run at a lower psi.
View attachment 191314
Love that top bike

Latest posts

Back