Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
57D53E1C-833C-4205-956E-4E0454DECD5F.jpeg

33.2 lbs is what this schwinn super sport weighs. I think it needs to loose a few pounds.... and it thinks the same about me. So in all fairness....

E11E96A7-1F14-4D1B-9A7F-AB3D975C3AD2.jpeg

215.3lbs for me.

Goal for this project is for me to lose the weight of the bike (33.2lbs) and for it to lose 20% (6.6lbs) and for us both to become cool, like a latin guy with a ponytail who knows how to say all the right things and maybe play some guitar.

I like your goals for this build. I could probably learn from you, but I can't see the numbers on my scale because my gut is in the way. :D

this is cool. you should be able to lose all that weight just in a new wheel set.

So, with your current weather sitchy, studded tires? No, wait. That would add 6 lbs.....

I like your goals. I can see the bike possibility but without knowing your build; height, body type, diet regimen, etc that personal weight loss is a big one. Four years ago I lost 17.5 lbs for my 40th high school reunion, and just to feel better on the bike as well. But that was during the summer, rode my mountain bike hard for at least an hour a day at least 4 days a week and did the myfitnesspal.com gauge to watch my caloric intake and output. My fighting weight is right around 195 lbs. I was at 223 when I started and got down to 205 range. I applaud you for your goals, just don't let them get in the way of your fun. ;)

On that note, looking forward to another @macncheese build. As a former Odd Job Award winner, you know I dig your stuff!

IMG_0224 (Large).jpg

So I threw a leg over last night to see what the existing bar height was like and let's just say the saddle is still soft but... uncomfortable.

Not sure I've encountered a saddle clamp that doesn't have a stop built in but I guess it's probably handy on a 7 or something. Also, I've never tightened the leather on a brooks but I think I've got the wrench in box somewhere. Should I proofide it first?

I can probably find some new seat guts in my seat box. New (to me) 26.8mm alloy seatpost on order.

This morning's weigh in: 212.6

I’m impressed with your weight loss plan. I have a few 35lbs or so bikes, they just seem to get heavier as I work on them. Too many accessories I guess.
I started on Weight Watchers at about the time 2017 Summer BO started...went from 276 down to 219 at present. It can be done with changes in eating and more bike riding. Good luck with the bike and WL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like this thread. The goals are good. The bike has great potential I think. I like the stem and bars on it. I am curious if it will become a single speed?

View attachment 69022

So I threw a leg over last night to see what the existing bar height was like and let's just say the saddle is still soft but... uncomfortable.

Not sure I've encountered a saddle clamp that doesn't have a stop built in but I guess it's probably handy on a 7 or something. Also, I've never tightened the leather on a brooks but I think I've got the wrench in box somewhere. Should I proofide it first?

I can probably find some new seat guts in my seat box. New (to me) 26.8mm alloy seatpost on order.

This morning's weigh in: 212.6

Does that say VAG? under the seat? hahahaha thats the seat id want

608B2137-7E9D-4943-BB26-6B4F44F124CA.jpeg

Losing weight is expensive! Trying to limit my out of pocket on this one. I had this coaster brake 26” 8 speed shimano wheelset in the garage that I was planning to use. Not exactly lightweight but I think I’ll make it up somewhere else. Wanted to use an Amazon giftcard to get some tires but they only had the Flat Guard version which is a 1/2 pound heavier each. Yikes!

Stock 5 speed freewheel Rear Wheel/Tube/Tire: 5.5lbs
New 8 speed Rear Wheel/Tube/Tire: 8.0lbs
Stock Front Wheel/Tube/Tire: 4.6lbs
New Generator Front Wheel/Tube/Tire: 4.6lbs

Im going in the wrong direction here but I’m also not accounting for the weight of the mechs, brakes, and both sets of levers (and cables!?).

Also, I just ate a giant chicken parm sandwich.

Latest posts

Back