37 Admiral

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had this frame stashed away for almost 2 years, this may be the right time and project.

IMG_0828.jpg

Sweet!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

wow that frame is awsome. the paint design is killer. we got some competition with that.oh boy this will be fun.

Outlaw 8)

It's a pretty clean frame, except for the normal pitting and paint damage where the tank was, the admiral decal on the downtube is even in pretty good shape, got it off a guy up in O-side. Have some parts built up but still looking around for some stuff like the right wheelset.

Freshly stoked, just got done watching my fresh copy of the Klunkerz DVD that came in the mail the other day. Excellent job Bill!

Dug out some unused repo bmx style forks that I've had for awhile and will probably use, need to cut them down full 8" of steerer tube and the prewars are short in the head tube. Have some truss forks that would look killer but they would require painting and I'm not sure I want to do that yet as they've got a nice patina and I'll probably be using a 3/8" axle wheelset .

IMG_0830.jpg
IMG_0833.jpg

EDIT: Just rooting around the BMX parts, forgot I had some HW grips

IMG_0835.jpg

I'll be swiping my cruiser bars from this bike, have some black ones coming to replace them.

IMG_0784.jpg

Scored a roller brake wheelset of the bay for a decent price, 5-speed SRAM internal gear and Nexus front roller. That should complete the look pretty well, even comes with a set of bars/shifters, brakes handles.

Already have everything else I need, so it's just down to building it. First thing is a paint cleaning as there are some areas of discoloration.

wheelset.jpg

bars.jpg

Yeah, I'll occasionally use the old drivetrains but they have their issues, like the 5/16 axles are too soft and weak. When I saw this wheelset come up it looked like a great compromise to achieving the klunker look of some of Alan Bond's stuff.

Gave the paint a light cleaning with some Maguiar's paint cleaner and put the original badge back on, took a few glamour shots. Careful not to mess with the decals but not all the discolorations would come out with this level of cleaning, not really a concern though. Threw some synthetic wax on afterward.

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

Should look like Alan Bond's Blue Bomber stylistically

blue_01.jpg

So my friend tells me he's got a box of old mtb stuff I can have from a first year Stumpjumper

IMG_0857.jpg

A couple of gems pop out, the TA cranks were the choice(only choice really) fir the first fully geared Klunkers, Billy Savage specifically points this one out in the movie. Don't think I'll use them though maybe toss up on ebay.

EDIT: Had some folks express interest so I've added better pics of t he TA cranks after a real quicky clean, TA sticker missing from left crank, bolt head broken off inside binder screw insert, should pop out. Some corrosion on the chrome screw hardware.

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

And some Tomaselli brake levers and bear trap pedals, those will definitely be used,

IMG_0859.jpg

Klunker,

I'll get back to you, I should give my friend first dibs on selling it.

Ran into problems with the front roller brake, there's a notch that won't allow a BMX style fork to used, requires a curved fork leg. Might have to use the truss fork afterall will just take a little filing and bending.

IMG_0860.jpg

Spread the rear triangle for the back wheel

IMG_0862.jpg

Latest posts

Back