'38 Excelsior and S-4 wheelset w/Union Hubs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jiminyshiznit said:
Perfect! So, does this appear to be a fairly accurate '46 Excelsior, then? I'm still unclear about how long Excelsiors were made. I know the truss rods are wrong, as well as the seat. Not sure about the rest.

Best site ever.. thanks again, guys!

The Excelsior badge was used into the early 50's. The frame is definitely from a B6, which was the top of the line bike in '46. The fork is from another bike. The original fork had the braces the truss rod went through...called a braced truss fork. The truss rods are the fat 1/2" size that came later. The original rods in '46 were 3/8". As you said, the seat, bars, and wheels are not original. I'm not sure if that New Departure 2-speed is original or not, but I know they are worth big bucks now. A perfect bike for a rat project. Gary

Beautiful, thanks for all the info on the Excelsior, Gary! Now I know some parts to be on the lookout for.. I'll likely keep it very close to what it is, but it will be fun to hunt for a few things to keep nudging toward correct. I'd love to find a proper fork, bars and seat eventually... the front brake needs some work, so that's priority number one.

Not everyone is comfortable talking about money, and some people might not want it on record what they paid for something... could interfere with the sale of the item, or its parts. Or, maybe they're worried they paid too much, or don't want to hear their deal wasn't as sweet as they thought... just pullin' these from down south, but I can think of lots of potential reasons! But I hear ya.. I'm always curious what things are worth in the real world vs. the huge prices for things that sit on ebay forever.. or the guy at the swap meet asking WAY top dollar for everything in his pile, then takes it all back home vs. the guy that sold all of his while making a bunch of people feel like they got the best deal ever... he might have paid $10 for the whole truckload, so everyone wins. Anyway, I'll tell ya... I paid $150 for the bike, and $100 for the S-4's with Union hubs.

I always post what I pay for something, It's one of those things to me it doesn't matter what I paid for it, it matters what I will sell for and what you will buy for. When I sell parts I always research what similar ones have sold for and price it a few bucks under. I give a FAIR deal for both parties involved, My price very well could be more than I paid for the whole bike BUT still cheaper than you can find it anywhere else. I just kindly say if you don't like my price I'll sell it to the next guy. 9 times out of 10 they come back and say well that was a fair price even though you only paid $x.xx

Everybody wants to make a buck and there is NOTHING wrong with that. It just leaves some of us going, "Man, I wish I got that deal first."

jiminyshiznit said:
4575455515_20ef84332c_o.jpg

Is that a 1959-1960 Impala or Biscayne 4 door I see?

jiminyshiznit said:
Not everyone is comfortable talking about money, and some people might not want it on record what they paid for something... could interfere with the sale of the item, or its parts. Or, maybe they're worried they paid too much, or don't want to hear their deal wasn't as sweet as they thought... just pullin' these from down south, but I can think of lots of potential reasons! But I hear ya.. I'm always curious what things are worth in the real world vs. the huge prices for things that sit on ebay forever.. or the guy at the swap meet asking WAY top dollar for everything in his pile, then takes it all back home vs. the guy that sold all of his while making a bunch of people feel like they got the best deal ever... he might have paid $10 for the whole truckload, so everyone wins. Anyway, I'll tell ya... I paid $150 for the bike, and $100 for the S-4's with Union hubs.

Oh ok I didnt think youd be the one to reply. but that makes total sense man. buut i just figured that if u got a sweet ... deal on a sweet bike let the worl know, but then like u say, what if u wanna sellit? and u ask a fair price people might feel cheated or super lowball ya. i hear it
well u got a Super mega Deal man, ill give ya $160, just kidding.evryone on this forum is fckn koool, thnx

I'm not saying any of those reasons even apply to me, just reasons I could see for not disclosing price. For some reason I thought I'd already mentioned it up front... I think I may have even made reference to those prices I thought I'd mentioned. :lol:

Latest posts

Back