'39 Schwinn.....'The Beaver'

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, i guess I'll start with this, but what to build......?

DSC01518.jpg

Re: '39 Schwinn

Skipton said:
Nice! Are you going with the crank and bottom bracket on work bench?

nah, it's an old photo, originaly posted this winter. the crank and bb are suginos that went on my fixed gear (and yet, sadly, i'm still not hip.... :( )

ok, last night i at least came up with a name, and maybe a small spark of an idea..........

i clipped this out of a google image search picture, it will become the headbadge.
(apparently my camera handling was a little shaky under the dim garage lighting.....)

DSC01694.jpg

Headbadge

It's kind of silly, but I'm actually pretty stoked about how my homemade badge turned out :D

DSC01698.jpg

Re: Headbadge

CCR said:
Bendix said:
It's kind of silly, but I'm actually pretty stoked about how my homemade badge turned out :D

Cool !!! howd ya do it ?!?

i cut a piece of aluminum into something somewhat resembling a more or less semi-circular object, put my paper cutout on top & sealed it with laminating sheets :)

Man,that's a sweet bit o'tech tip there! I never woulda thought of that. Looks killer! :mrgreen:

I'm really starting to visualize this this thing.... I seem to have a lot of really useful stuff laying around . I guess that means there were a lot of failed projects this past winter! Hoping a Brooks saddle will be the only major expense on this one. Even rattle can paint stuff seems to add up though....Anyway, here's a little more progress. I've been busy as, well, as a beaver I suppose :D

Using what I have- a scrap of soffit left over from the back porch project of a few years ago. Finished by rubbing in some 'spoke prep'.

DSC01691.jpg

DSC01693.jpg

6/2, a little progress. lots of distractions....

I haven't accomplished much on this one yet, just keeping the journal going, but pilfering a wheel from another klunker has created a domino effect that has kept me busy on 4 others! I'll post them in the gallery when time and good photo opportunities permit. The highlight for me is seeing my klunker build off bike FINALLY done the way I meant it- under thirty pounds!

Anyway, for this one I'm ready for paint, in keeping with the 'woodsy' theme I've dedcided on a dark green kinda like a coleman stove or maybe a government picnic table....Probably a cream panel on the seat tube with some beavery accents (no idea what those might be yet...). I think I have eveything except a saddle (ordered, and as expected, the one major expense), some spokes, and a pair of grips. I'm not a painter, and generaly go to great lengths to avoid it, but the original finish was a disaster, nothing like the description. Vermont must be awfully humid (I hope she used the money to buy a new camera for her ebay listings :roll: ). The Tange BMX fork turned out ok, so maybe there's hope for me yet! Thanks to all the info on this forum I've definitely done better paint prep work this time :D There are sure a lot of sharp builds going on, it's a long way 'til August and I can't wait to see them all as they progress.....

DSC01706.jpg

6/7......the gReAT outdoors....

did my frame painting the other day, the humidity finally dropped to normal. got a little cottonwood in there and touched up a couple spots but that's the beauty of a rattle can i guess! did a cream panel on the seat tube, but didn't really know where to go from there. i had this idea in my head for a while so i went to the usgs web site, downloaded a topo map of one of my favorite backpacking areas (with beaver ponds, of course :) ), printed it onto some beige paper to give it a 'vintage' look and kill the glaring white areas, then copied it onto some sticker paper and cut to fit. i found it works best when you print on the correct side.... :oops: .

DSC01713.jpg

DSC01715.jpg

DSC01716.jpg

aww man !!! the top. map seat tube looks killer !!! like the color, tank and wheels too !!! coming together nicely

Latest posts

Back