39 YR OLDS & BMX BIKES

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
The weather was really nice here today...sunny and 65 this afternoon.

Decided to take two of my kids out for a ride on our bike path. It's a 7 foot wide paved path that goes for several miles and passes by our house part of the way through. My seven year old cruises well on her little 20" Electra and my 5 year old is on her 16" Electra with training wheels still. She's pretty slow on it and needs help quite a bit of the time. I decided to take my 85 GT Mach One out with them because I knew that it would be easier to jump off it and turn around quick to help her out.

Part of the way down the path we come to a hill that leads up to the street. There is a portion of that hill that is paved and you can ride right up it from the sidewalk. I was just ahead of my kids and decided I would cruise up the paved part of the hill and then turn and ride back down it onto the sidewalk.

This is where the hand of the Lord comes into play. :lol:

On my way down the hill, for some reason, I thought I needed to pull up on the handlebars not realizing that this would instantly put me in wheelie mode. :shock: So here I am heading down a paved incline and for the last 10 feet of it I'm on the back wheel and miraculously I did not flip all the way back and crack my head or break my neck like I should have. I was quickly reminded that I was no longer 14 years old and back in 1985. :lol:

I got to a stopping point and took a rest until the sick feeling in my stomach went away. The funny part is that my kids thought it was cool and wondered how I did it....ha ha!

Took a few shots of the GT after we got back from the ride. She's a rat rod BMX. :wink:

DSC_0007-2.jpg

DSC_0019-2.jpg

DSC_0009-1.jpg

DSC_0038-1.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0004-2.jpg

Great story. I got a BMX bike last summer and thought I could do all the tricks like I could do 10 yrs ago but I was quick to realize has Im flying over the handle bars that I wasnt a kid anymore and I cant do those cool tricks. so now I keep both wheels on the ground at all the times.

Yeah...I was pretty conservative after that little experience.

The only thing that really kept me from flipping was that I instantly grabbed the brake lever and squeezed as hard as I could.

Those old brakes don't stop worth a darn , but it was enough friction to reduce the speed slightly.

Just needed a video of my face when it all happened....I'm sure it was a look of terror. :lol:

Thanks Zach...those are Fitbike Co tires from Dan's Comp.

I was a little disappointed when they showed up because in the photo they look like the old tan skinwall color. I decided to go ahead and throw them on there, but I'm still not sure if I like the white color over the beige color of the 80s skinwalls. I do like the fact that they are 20 x 1.95 and they have a cool tread pattern.

Which do yall think looks the best?

DSC_0012-3.jpg

DSC_0039-1.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

The white walls look like they just belong on there to me. There is so much 'light' and white color on this bike, I think the black walls are too much black, and the skin walls just look dirty to me. I dont know anything about 'classics' in the BMX world, but if it were my bike (kind of wish it was :wink: ) Id go white walls all the way and back again

One thing to note...the blue grips are on there now and I've got a blue Dominator seat coming in the mail.

I think I found a newer street tire in a 2.0 width that looks like a real gumwall color.

The problem I have with the Duro 1.75" skinwalls above is that they look too skinny to me...I just like a beefier width tire...especially with my 185lb rear on them....ha ha! :lol:

Yea if your gonna be trick riding with the kids you need the fatter gumwalls. Great story, if you only look the fool in front of the kids once in your life your doin pretty good. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah Clancy...that was the first thing I thought about...I need a helmet.

Unfortunately I don't think they make a 26" version.

Latest posts

Back