3G NEWPORT DLX CRUISER - BLUE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I just received a 2013 3G Newport Deluxe 3 speed cruiser this week and wanted to do a review of the bike on the site.

Many of you know that Gary Silva was the person who started Phat Cycles back in the 90s. Gary owned several large bike stores in the Miami Beach area before he started Phat. Needless to say, he's had a long career in the bicycle industry and knows his way around pretty well. After selling Phat Cycles Gary started 3G bikes and has focused on designing and selling mega comfortable/reliable beach cruisers. The cool thing about Gary is that he designs all of his bikes himself via CAD and oversees all of the manufacturing. He's not just slapping logos on Micargi frames and calling them his. He's very particular about how his bikes turn out and it shows in the end product.

One of their top dogs in the line up is the Newport DLX which is an aluminum cruiser that comes with an SRAM 3-i 3 speed coaster brake hub. I had not ridden an SRAM 3 speed until I rode this bike, and I have to say, I may like it even more than the Nexus 3 speeds. It's a quieter hub and it feels a lot stronger and more precise. It functions just like a Nexus with instant shifting, but something about it just seems better.

Lot's of great details on this model like sealed BB and headset bearings, rustproof Z chain, 3 piece cranks, ergo grips, springer gel saddle and of course, the awesome 26" x 57mm alloy wheel set with stainless spokes and monster BOA-G tires. The Newport uses Gary's signature Tri-Pod frame design which gives you feet forward pedaling geometry. Gary is obsessed with making comfortable bikes that are fun to ride.

Overall the bike is an absolute Cadillac and you'll be hard pressed to find another cruiser on the market as comfortable and easy to ride as this one. The Newport is a pretty large cruiser and it can accommodate riders in the 5'7" to 6'9" range. They retail for $599 and can be purchased at bike shops all over the U.S. that carry 3G Bikes.

http://www.3gbikes.com/bikes/cruisers/m ... rtsdlx3spd

pxzz.jpg

i1hd.jpg

rva9.jpg

cikr.jpg

n5qh.jpg

njg4.jpg

fg6y.jpg

i5c2.jpg

7ukh.jpg

rtvo.jpg

vuvn.jpg

Here's a shot of the bike with a 5'9" tall rider. You'll notice that I could probably drop the seat down another half inch and then my feet would touch better when stopped.

h1z0.jpg

That looks like a very comfy ride. Love the blue anodized stuff. If I lived at the beach I'd buy one in a second.

That is one thing that I forgot to mention. Gary does a lot of what he does with these bikes because the bike shops near the beaches love them. The rust proof chain, the sealed bearings, the aluminum frame & stainless spokes make them great survivors around the salt air. :wink:

Looks awesome, I love the blue. Also love how the seat tube is braced to the chain stays and those welds look excellent, keep up the good work 3G!

Excellent review and great pictures!

The comments about leaving near the beach are great reminders for us salt air folk. I've been eyeing a new Newport Deluxe for a few weeks now here at my local bike shop. Gary has been AMAZING in terms of answering questions quickly via email. Seems like a great company all around!

-nfo

Latest posts

Back