40/41 Schwinn Dx Klunker......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
......well, better late than never i guess- here's my klunker build off bike, or at least the bike i planned..... mark nobilette finally got a chance to create a very cool fork out of the cromoly tubes i left with him last fall. thanks to my buddy matt for acquiring and bending them for me! mark's a busy guy so i was fully aware it would be a 'whenever' thing. between the new rene herse frames, rivendells, repairs, and his own nobilette customs i don't know how he ever got around to it! last time i was out there he was finishing a giant flatbed trike for a guy who's going to put a piano on the back :shock: anyway, i've been shuffling parts from one bike to another getting the fleet where i want it. this one and the '42 bfg are officially done. this is the klunker i was hoping would come in under thirty pounds with a qr front wheel for roof or truck bed rack duty. as you can see, it made it, but just barely :D the mrp bb, specialized crank, and suntour bmx pedals are unchanged, as are the brooks and the machined seatpost. now it has the cromoly fork where a chinese cruiser fork and then later a postwar schwinn fork with struts used to be, mafac cantis instead of a sturmey archer drum, a bendix red band rear hub in place of the morrow, campy qr front hub (with a more trustworthy japanese skewer), sr 'swan' alloy stem, and some 1.5 araya 7x rims.

the fork paint isn't a great match, but it'll be fine once it's got some more dirt on it. fwiw, it does match the paint inside the bb shell pretty good......

DSC01740.jpg

mafac cantis and some bigger-than-they-sound 2.35 kenda small block 8's. yikes!

DSC01741.jpg

campy front hub, dt spokes, and the non-bmx fork ends (better clearance for the nut on old-school qr's).

DSC01742.jpg

sr 'swan' stem. basically the same shape as an old schwinn stem, somewhat lighter.

DSC01744.jpg

under thirty, complete with spare tube :D

DSC01709.jpg

2manybikes said:
Very clean finished product.
Have you had a chance to see it how it descends on dirt? It has to handle good at speed with the rake angle in the front fork.

the front axle is in the same place it is on a prewar fork, it just takes a different route getting there. so basically it's like riding an old stumpjumper :) personally, i wouldn't know about speed on any bike.......... :mrgreen:

RAD bike......Like the BMX flavor you added to it..........Really cool........Love the paint.......Under 30lbs she is a light weight for sure........Awesome work.....

Latest posts

Back