'42 Hawthorne. "The Answer" (Finished)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this ratty Hawthorne off Craigslist a few months back, I think the seller is a member, (speak up if it was you!) I wanted to keep it ratty, I think I've succeeded. This is the second build I've put on here, hopefully it's better recieved than the last one was. Bonus points if you know why I named it "The Answer."

This is the way it was when I bought it, minus the wheels and tires, which I moved over from my Schwinn DX.
hawthorne01.JPG

I switched out the bars, and threw on some clay brick tires that I got from Chimichanga. I also threw the skiptooth chain from my DX on it, but it was a bit too short. I added a few links from a different chain, check out my "master link."
hawthorne02.JPG

hawthorne03.JPG

hawthorne04.JPG

I bought a chrome Nirve headlight, but it was way too modern looking, not to mention shiny.
hawthorne05.JPG

This will make a much more suitable light, don't you think?
hawthorne06.JPG

Trainmen's lantern added, bars switched out yet again.
hawthorne07.JPG

Rollfast tank purchased from eBay, it had a horn that didn't work, I replaced it with one that did. I also threw the Nirve headlight on the back as a taillight. It's still way too shiny though. Also got my Brooks saddle installed. Sexy seat.
hawthorne08.JPG

hawthorne09.JPG

Antiqued the taillight, and threw on some red auto light repair tape.
hawthorne10.JPG

hawthorne11.JPG

Chainguard acquired from a guy at that "other" forum. I think it's supposed to be for a Shelby?
hawthorne12.JPG

Took it to the first ever SoCal Rat Rod ride. You can see my last build behind it. (purple)
hawthorne12a.JPG

Redid the taillight lens, that tape was way too crappy looking. I removed it and painted it instead.
hawthorne13.JPG

Picked up a set of ducktail fenders from Chimichanga. a little time with a cut off wheel and a rivet gun, and now it's a bobbed fender. With the chain indent and ducktail still intact. Again, way too shiny though.
hawthorne14.JPG

hawthorne15.JPG

Antiqued the fender.
hawthorne23.JPG

I painted it red, then sanded it to dull it. Then I dabbed on alternating copper and silver paint for texture. After that I dabbed it with liquid shoe polish for darker spots and an old dirty look. Hitting it with a hammer doesn't hurt either. ;) Thanks for the kind words.

Amazing bike!!!! But I do have one question...exactly how much did this all cost? because I wanna do a build like this so badly!

Okay thanks I guess I just need to save up some money for the frame

This bike is AWSOME... I really love how the tires picking up patina is adding to it. It seems like a bike that will only improve with use!

Every once in a while on this forum you across a builder who is not afraid to go there and not afraid to take you there. Patina is in the rat baby. 8)
That bike is nice man. :D
wcc

Latest posts

Back