4D LaSalle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoa! I didn’t realize the system had censored my post. After 2000 years we are going to be back to secret meetings and hidden symbols.
Certain words, that can be used in derogatory or slanderous ways, have been flagged / censored on this site since the beginning. Because the internet lacks a 'human reasoning factor' even the proper name or term,used in a proper way, gets the same treatment as if it were used to convey some slang, or improper meaning. The computer doesn't reason, it just has an incredible memory.

The main goal,at it's inception and continuing still today, was to keep this forum family friendly, and not to spiral into the style of so many others where almost anything goes as far as linguistic commentary.

There are work-a-rounds, literally, too. For instance, I think your phrase, worded this way, will pass through the 'censor curtain' :

"What would the Savior of the Christian Faith ride?"

As for the chain guard, isn't this the year of the dimples?
1653901763554.png

1653901820554.png

1653901856422.png

As for the chain guard, isn't this the year of the dimples?
View attachment 195123
View attachment 195124

View attachment 195125
The black guard is going on my build.. It's not dimpled but i was so inspired i ordered a set of dimple dies to use on another bike project. That's why i love this place. I've got enough good ideas to build a complete bike. Not for the build off but to put together for my weekend cruiser. Build on masters of the rat.

Hey I’m not trying to start anything either guys.

My family has Catholics, Baptists, Jews. Navajo Indians.

I just freaked out when I couldn’t post the name Hesus.

On with the Bikes!

Finally had time to get a little work done. This heart sprocket and crank were made at least 30 years apart, but they’ve both been rechromed and look pretty good together. Also got the new bearing cups in.
965032BD-A159-4973-AD6C-4CE40511239F.jpeg
Rather than cobble together the bottom bracket hardware, I found a complete set on the bay for pretty cheap so I went that route.
768BA6F1-6391-461E-9D00-A4DC9BE36601.jpeg
Hopefully I can do a little each day until my pile of metal looks like a bike. It will be interesting to see how the dull bare metal, nice chrome, and not so nice chrome work together
D73B563F-6E63-423F-B828-4391CA3B5AF0.jpeg

Speaking of muted metal. I got the seat post and seat clamp looking good and installed. The clamp was welded to the frame but cleaned up pretty nice. The post is new. Bought 5 feet of 13/16 solid steel and my buddy heated and bent up 6 of them. Already used three on other projects. Then a bunch more WD40 and Scotch Brite.
2309DF1A-F1CF-494D-A83C-83C0F9690592.jpeg
Normally, I cut the top of the seat tube down but I just couldn’t do it to this 1940 frame. I like the look of this stuff. I’m going to have to get creative with the seat frame/guys so it all blends together. Headset and fork are next!
B3F221E4-2BCD-480D-91DB-3DDEEF8DCCBC.jpeg

This finish is looking awesome!!! Nice work!

Made big moves over the weekend! Had to wait for a headset from the bay. Nothing I had would do the bike justice. In fact, I bought a whole other fork so I could get this headset and the struts I was missing. cCleaned them up and got them pressed in. Most people refer to my press as a rubber mallet.
8CD06CED-960F-47EE-9EE4-E5A2897036DB.jpeg
I figured as much, but the locking fork I had was off a ladies bike I’m guessing. Little long but I chopped it with a cutoff wheel and cleaned it up.
42ADF89A-E531-42D6-9B31-CD7FFABACFF8.jpeg
Now the rest of the headset bolted up perfectly
2B6A4A4C-0909-4649-BF11-CBA443949172.jpeg
The stem I’m using is a repro or rechromed, or both. May have come off the same bike as the crank I’m using but I really can’t remember anymore. I like the beefiness but I don’t know when this type was used.
3E9E9371-8C4C-4B56-B695-6676C258EE1F.jpeg
Finally, I cleaned up and bolted up the struts. They’re not as nice as I’d like but they’ll be okay.
CC99F632-DFDF-4912-BF52-DD78D1883012.jpeg
So I’m getting close to making this look like a bike. Bars, wheels, rear hub, tires next.

That is some niceeeeee chrome on that stem!

That is some niceeeeee chrome on that stem!
Yeah, the stem and the cranks and chainwheel. Everything else is kinda grungy. But a true hot rod usually has a mix of parts in various stages of degradation, right? Hopefully it helps with making it look like I ruined a perfectly good ‘40 LaSalle, rather than cobbled one together!

I'm left wondering if your stopping to take photos would have made you screw something up.

Just Wondering :)

When I get on a roll, the last thing on my mind is photo documentation.
It’s real easy to get something wrong when lacing spokes. But no, I just got excited to get the wheel set together once the rear hub showed up. That will be my next big post.

Latest posts

Back