50's Schwinn Rat-Rod Boardtracker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started the build about 6 months ago. But I'm getting close to finished so I figured it was time to do a build blog. It's gonna be an on going project.

The frame was a "gift" from a buddy. It was sitting outside behind a house he had moved in to.

2ana9emy.jpg

And this is where it's sitting as of now. The motor is a early Clinton four stroke. With a custom kick start and jack shaft set up.
u6yzy2u7.jpg

ubyhyzyr.jpg

u3y3asen.jpg
8y5azyra.jpg

Re: 50's Schwinn Rat-Rod Boardtracker

is that a Briggs? I like the vertical, flathead motors best in a boardtracker.

Looks like my design!

I LOVE it!

Keep it up!

Thanks beau!! I wish I had come across your build a long time ago!! Would have saved all those hours figuring out the jack shaft setup! What did your drive ratio end up at? From the crank to the rear wheel I ended up at 8:1 over all. It worked out "if my math it rite" to about 65-70 at 5000+ Rpms. Should be fun!

Wow!!! This is the coolest homebuilt bicycle I've seen yet...,Those Hookworms look great on those wide rims..

I don't remember what mine was. I ran 24" wheels, with a belt on a 24" rim. I'd have to look through my build thread. It's been a while. Mine tops out at about 32mph depending on the weather. But it has enough torque to pull me (200 pounds) up a steep hill.

btr2.jpg

I started to build a full scale motorcycle with 23" wheels and a Suuki 400cc single street bike engine. I want to go faster!

The 79 and 80 Honda Xl250's had 23" wheels out front. I'm going to run them on the front and rear.

Here a picture next to the stock 18" wheel. Sorry for the hijack.

wheels1.jpg

Beau, ive currently found 3 x 23" XL wheels with the intention of building up a set of wheels. The only problem is tyre selection. I went with Bridgestone TW9 tyres although they arent cheap, but havent gone any further to build the wheels.

Since buying them id really like to find a more "boardtrack" style tyre, if you see or hear of any id appreciate hearing about them. I did see quite a nice looking "speedway" 23" tyre, however i havent checked the price yet and am worried a speedway tyre would be a little too soft?

Found me a cool 12v horn it's time to start sourcing all fun parts.
7y2aqe5e.jpg
here the big ... flashlight housing in gonna use as a head light
emu6agas.jpg
ryzesyvu.jpg

Here it is mounted up. It seems sorta big maybe it's the location. Maybe moving it forward will help.
erupezed.jpg
. And here is the 12v 20amp alternator that will power everything I'm gonna drive it off of the primary drive line. There is enough space between the front primary gear and the crankcase .
a8y8y6az.jpg

Latest posts

Back