54' CWC Military Build - pretty much done..I think

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 54' CWC Military Build - Back on track!

Thanks for mentioning me in the thread, glad to see one I the "prizes" I sent you was worth using.

I haven't been in this forum much since my shoulder surgery, it bums me out that others can build right now and I can't.

yoothgeye said:
Thanks for mentioning me in the thread, glad to see one I the "prizes" I sent you was worth using.

I haven't been in this forum much since my shoulder surgery, it bums me out that others can build right now and I can't.
hang in there bud we miss you too
bunny.jpg
and AWESOME build!!!

Thanks guys...and Justin, thanks again for the stem! I think I found some cross brace bars for it. May have them by the weekend. I thought I had a nice 50's Higgins rear rack in the garage to use, but I haven't been able to find it. I hope it didn't get thrown out. I figure I'll paint it green and mount the ammo cases to either side.

I finally got back to this and added the crossbrace bars. From the side, I think they have cool lines, but they feel awkward while riding. I am still not sold on them. I may swap them out for some ratty wide pull back bars, but either way, this bad boy is almost done. I am considering adding some ammo boxes as saddlebags, but as cool as that sounds, I am not liking how it changes the look of the bike. I may put this one aside for a while and work on something else and come back to it with fresh eyes later.

rb22.jpg

rb23.jpg

Looks great! Keep on riding with those bars and see if you grow fond of them

Great looking build man!!!
I am not a big fan of the ammo box saddle bags, most of the time they are just too big. Instead, find yourself some softside army bags.

kingfish254 said:
I am not a big fan of the ammo box saddle bags, most of the time they are just too big. Instead, find yourself some softside army bags.

Yeah...Been thinking about that. I kind of think any sort of rack/bag takes away from the compact fat tire feel of the bike though. Maybe something like a spaceliner style rear rack....I guess I just need to look at it for a while and wait for some inspiration.

How about a rack with ordinance attached to it. Maybe something like this on the supports.

50-x-7.92--2297-p.jpg

Terry, that looks fantastic! But as a Navy man, I have to say I hate it. :lol: But seriously, great work.

I got my son a Felt MP for Christmas... because yours wasn't for sale in time. :lol: I'm adding a leather rifle scabbard to the fork, and a cloth/leather saddle bag to the rear rack.

Kingfish, I like that belt of ammo! I'll have to think about that one! But probably won't happen before Christmas.

SylusMk2 said:
defanetly a dark tan saddle bag or somthing

Yeah, that is what I was thinking...but then I'll need to get a different seat. One thing always leads to another. I think I'll be patient and watch for a nice set of worn saddlebags on ebay/CL and then find a seat to match. I want to use this black seat on my '46 Schwinn DX anyway!

Crash...got any pics of the MP? I'd like to see the accessories. The MP partially inspired my build. I thought it was cool, but I like to work with vintage junk...I mean parts! :D

As a side note, I picked up a 24" skiptooth wheelset from Nate last week. Over the winter, I am going to rebuild the hub and strip the paint off the rims. Thinking about painting the rim green and putting them on this bike. I have a cool skiptooth sproket that I could use.

we have a leather shop at a local flea market....im gonna be buying a little one as a tool pouch for my CWC bike im also gonna be talking to them about covering my seat....as for the ammo links my sister used to be into the whole punk rock thing and has a real ammo belt like the one posted...ill see if she would be willing to part with some of the links if you would like

and the skip tooth setup will be sweet! i have the origonal skip tooth setup for my bike im just afraid ill break the chain on it

Looks great as it sits now. Be sure to post it here when you consider it done viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15700
kingfish254 said:
I agree. I even had the small ammo boxes on mine but didn't like them.

Terry66 said:
Crash...got any pics of the MP? I'd like to see the accessories. The MP partially inspired my build. I thought it was cool, but I like to work with vintage junk...I mean parts! :D
I don't... yet. It's sitting in the back of my LBS waiting on fatter tires. I'm keeping it at the LBS till a couple days before Christmas, when I will pick it up, add the accesories, and hide it at my MIL's house till Oh Dark Hundred Christmas morning when I will sneak it into my house along with the 2 other bikes for my kids.

Agreed on those crossbrace type bars with straight pullback, very awkward/unnatural hand and arm position. Maybe try even a moto style with crossbrace and proper sweep/pullback, like the MP uses.

8985.png

Terry66 said:
I finally got back to this and added the crossbrace bars. From the side, I think they have cool lines, but they feel awkward while riding. I am still not sold on them. I may swap them out for some ratty wide pull back bars, but either way, this bad boy is almost done.

Re: 54' CWC Military Build - We're rollin'

rb19.jpg

rb20.jpg

My vote is to put these bars back on after you paint them a different color...frame color or black?

other than that, sweet bike!

Latest posts

Back