'57 Schwinn "Krunk Junk" New shoes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an update on my mom, they did an EKG and found a leak and some fluid around the heart with a dark spot that the doctor thought was a clot so they went in and did open heart surgery to repair the leak which the doctor said wasn't as bad as he thought and they drained the fluid. As far as the dark spot they found out it was not a clot it was a fat deposit that was just in a weird spot so they cut that out. I saw her and she's doing better but still on pain meds so she is kinda groggy at times but she is doing much better and the doctors said her stats are looking good so in the next few days they will be removing the tubes and getting her up and doing light physical therapy and such till she recovers. She's in good spirits and the nurses love her sense of humor.

Good report, will be praying for you and your family. Hoping the recovery goes smoothly and the stress is minimal from here on out outskirts!

Well guys I hate to disappoint but I will be sitting this build off out after all and focusing on family issues, my mother had a massive heart attack yesterday and had to undergo surgery to remove 2 blockages and put in two stints in her heart so she is in the hospital for the next 3 days for observation then after I will be caring for her so no build off for me this year. I do look forward to seeing all you guy's creativity this year though. Maybe next year guys.
family first!!!! good luck and take care will miss your build this year

Ok well I got a bit of time to work on my B.O. 9 bike and it felt good and helped take my mind off things going on. Just get in the zone and build something cool. Anyway this is the frame I am starting with a 1957 Schwinn of unknown origin. I found it in the trash behind my local bike shop a year ago and thought it would make a perfect klunker / bounce around bike.

My concept is that a Schwinn factory worker with sticky fingers kept taking home pieces over the years and built a bike out of whatever he could sneak out of the factory and whatever other parts he could get elsewhere. Kinda like the old Johnny Cash song "One piece at a time".

There will be many different years of Schwinn parts going into this bike. The frame is a '57, fork is from a '70 Breeze (Odd that a girl's fork fit a boy's frame), derailleur is a Schwinn GT500 from late 60's I think..., wheels are from an '80 Heavy Duty, God only knows what else.

Here are the tires I am using, front is a red line tire 2.0 wide, rear is a red wall tire 2.10 wide for a slight stagger.

Some other parts that may or may not make it on to the build.

For wheels we need something heavy duty for the trails so how about these thick spoke wheels from a Schwinn Heavy Duty 5 speed?

Looking good so far

closer looks

Still need to lengthen the chain and get some pedals and make some other modifications but it's starting to look like a bike.

The paint is not original and will eventually stripped down to bare metal as if it was taken before it went to paint.

Last edited:
Nope no tandem, just a lean and mean klunker / BMX style bike. Yes I know the handlebars and stem are Mongoose but they look better than the one pair of Schwinn bars I have and add to the overall look I want so they are staying.

Well after fueling up with a sammich I hit the frame hard and got to sanding, It is looking GOOD! Exactly how I had hoped it would turn out.

Still a few small hard to reach spots but this thing is like metal artwork. So sleek and almost looks like chrome.

Smooth as a baby's butt

Little closer

Got to love the seamless way Schwinn braised their frames together.

And FYI I did NOT sandblast this frame this is ALL done by hand.

Did some assembly just to see how it will look and so far I like it. I left the fork black and I think it complements the rear rack well and gives balance to the bike.

Even though it won't do anything I added this front derailleur because it matches the rear and adds a little protection from things getting caught in the chain

Probably not, my van's not up and going yet and I really don't have space for bikes anymore. Besides with my mom's condition I am focusing on that before I worry about bikes.

Yeah besides that my van is already packed and I have two bikes in the house already so I don't have space for any thing new and the bikes I have I'm keeping. If you want some free parts feel free to stop by some time and you can help clean out my van. Lots of seats and tires, a pair of fenders, and I'm sure I can find some other stuff too.

I'm out of space too. I'm loading up a trailer for the show/swap in hopes to clearance out a lot of my "overstock" since I'm losing my biggest storage space.

Latest posts

Back