'57 Schwinn "Krunk Junk" New shoes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am beginning to consider the possibility of creating a new breed of bike all together with this build. It will mix cruiser, klunker, and oldschool MX styles all seemlessly into one genre called krunk.

So here's to getting krunk! I will be removing the derailleur and running single speed like a cruiser but with knobby tires like a klunker and running a different handlebar if I like how they look otherwise I will stay with the Bmx ones on it now. Lots of ideas are brewing. Now to find time to do it.

Well I tried the bars I had in mind which are a low rise bar from a mountain bike and they have a cool motocross look to them but they don't look right on this bike and they don't fit the stem so I am sticking with the bars I have on it but they are getting stripped down to bare metal to match the bike. Should look good when I'm done getting all the white off of them. I think I am going to stick with bare metal and black as a color scheme.

I had a little bit of time today between doing everything so I got to work on "Krunk". I got the bars sanded and they look great! Also dropped the derailleur and shifter and shortened the chain to make it a single speed using 3rd gear.

IMG_2780.jpg

Schwinn cushion grips

IMG_2779.jpg

IMG_2771.jpg

Still some character marks but they look good.
IMG_2774.jpg

Also added a little hand painted detail to the seat clamp.
IMG_2770.jpg

I didn't like the look of the gold brake and lever so I looked through my crate-o-brakes in the van and found this aluminum one that matches the frame better only problem was the mounting post was too short so I took the gold caliper apart and swapped the brake arms and spring from the aluminum one onto the gold one's post and presto! We got a brake!

IMG_2783.jpg

Also found these oldschool Diacompe caps in my secret stash so I figured I'd dress it up a bit.
IMG_2784.jpg

Added these Diacompe brake levers from my old Diamondback mountain bike
IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2787.jpg

Matches the frame pretty close. Also found some better brake pads.
IMG_2785.jpg

I liked that too, also these bars give it a comfortable stance and with the Schwinn cushion grips it feels like a Cadillac. I'm hoping to get time to do a test ride between everything else going on.

Diggin' the nice flat crossbar. Could be cool with some creative decaling... alternate colors of schWINn playing on the old Win with Schwinn ads. As in take a white downtube decal and overlay WIN in red or whatever.

I am beginning to consider the possibility of creating a new breed of bike all together with this build. It will mix cruiser, klunker, and oldschool MX styles all seemlessly into one genre called krunk.

Ha. That sounds like some of my builds.... probably most of'm. I'd say the best name would be "krunx", so we get the "x" from BMX, plus the klunker/cruiser aspects of the name and components as well....

Seems like I'm forever building some cruiser frame with some BMX and mountain bits....

Ha. That sounds like some of my builds.... probably most of'm. I'd say the best name would be "krunx", so we get the "x" from BMX, plus the klunker/cruiser aspects of the name and components as well....

Seems like I'm forever building some cruiser frame with some BMX and mountain bits....

I like that! But I can't give away all my secrets just yet I'll just hint that before it's over it will be called "Krunk Junk" or some variation of that. Think Patina.

Sounds great. I really like your build so far. I have a INB frame that I'm working on (probably will become the main project after BO9), where's I intend to run a ghetto freecoaster with a chainstay-mounted u-brake... I'm a bit jealous, seeing how simple your brake scheme is up front.... what do you intend to do with the back?

Sounds great. I really like your build so far. I have a INB frame that I'm working on (probably will become the main project after BO9), where's I intend to run a ghetto freecoaster with a chainstay-mounted u-brake... I'm a bit jealous, seeing how simple your brake scheme is up front.... what do you intend to do with the back?
The rear has no place to mount a brake only a fender. So I will run with no rear brake or kick it old-school and jam my foot in the rear tire and slide it like a drift car. Like this but with the foot locked in the wheel. Besides with the long brake levers the front should provide adequate braking force.

236787d1172001655-skid-town-roots-tc-skid-true.jpg

Last edited:
I gotta say, I love having rear brakes.... especially on trails. Even the bro in the pic has a coaster....plus a full face helmet. :grin: Maybe run a drum or a cb out back?

I don't have any drum brake wheels and the rear wheel has thicker spokes so the one coaster hub I have left wouldn't work. Besides I want to eventually use the gears just not for the build off. Kinda thinking of making a disk brake hanger off the frame for the back.

Latest posts

Back