'59 Corvette

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Responded to a FB Marketplace ad this AM and came home with this:
20210905_111306.jpg
20210905_111315.jpg
20210905_111329.jpg
20210905_111345.jpg
20210905_111423.jpg

20210905_111520.jpg

I am fascinated at how well crusty old Schwinns respond to a little cleaning. I spent a few minutes picking away at a few sections in the driveway when I got it home, and I can tell a lot of it will come back pretty nicely. Won't be a showroom-looking bike, but I think it'll be a nice rider with great patina.

I stuck a rag on one finger between the rear spokes and wiped at the grime and this is what I got.
20210905_112725.jpg
20210905_112749.jpg

A couple minutes with a steel brush on the front wheel.
20210905_113145.jpg

I don't know the best way yet to get the rust and dirt off the paint, but this was just rubbing away with a wet rag and then rubbing down with a little Marvel Mystery Oil. The fenders are AMAZING... I assume they are stainless. A little wipe and they come up like mirrors.
20210905_113849.jpg

Tried a Magic Eraser on the paint here, then Marvel Mystery Oil again.
20210905_115356.jpg

Magic Eraser worked wonders on the seat.
20210905_115500.jpg

Amazingly, the brake cables are free, the chain is crunchy but not bound up anywhere, the freewheel sounds good, and I think I even got three gears out of it just pulling on the chain with the rear wheel spinning.

I will pick away at this all fall and winter and hopefully have a rider in the spring. I already have an appropriately seasoned set of Westwinds for it.

just rubbed and cleaned on different parts of it for an hour or two on and off...
View attachment 171586
thinking this is going to clean up real nice :D
Yes they are SS fenders and those Sturmey Archer 3 speeds are basically bulletproof. My '59 came to me in similar condition and it cleaned up great. It is one of my favorite bikes. That looks all original It should have a front rack. Most likely a Mayweg dual action rat trap. Not difficult to find but a bit pricey in decent shape. I put a later rack on mine I'm not always a stickler for exact when it comes to riding it makes no difference. That should clean up real nice, maybe a polishing compound and a good car wax. Or just a good cleaning and car wax. A little wd and OOOO steel wool might take care of that surface rust be careful on chain guard screening. Good luck real nice bike

Attachments

• IMG_0168 (1).jpg
    IMG_0168 (1).jpg
    703.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0167 (1).jpg
    IMG_0167 (1).jpg
    765.1 KB · Views: 41
Yes they are SS fenders and those Sturmey Archer 3 speeds are basically bulletproof. My '59 came to me in similar condition and it cleaned up great. It is one of my favorite bikes. That looks all original It should have a front rack. Most likely a Mayweg dual action rat trap. Not difficult to find but a bit pricey in decent shape. I put a later rack on mine I'm not always a stickler for exact when it comes to riding it makes no difference. That should clean up real nice, maybe a polishing compound and a good car wax. Or just a good cleaning and car wax. A little wd and OOOO steel wool might take care of that surface rust be careful on chain guard screening. Good luck real nice bike
I noticed that the original catalog picture shows it with a front rack. I have had this in the basement for a while; I took it off a '64 Hornet a couple of years ago. Is this the same type you put on yours? I'm guessing it's not the "correct" Mayweg rack, but I was thinking of putting it on because it looks close. (That's if I can straighten it out...)
20210906_161807.jpg
20210906_161818.jpg

A brass brush is better for the rims, steel will scratch! ~Adam

Thanks for the heads up; I will look for a brass one before I really tear into the rims.

I noticed that the original catalog picture shows it with a front rack. I have had this in the basement for a while; I took it off a '64 Hornet a couple of years ago. Is this the same type you put on yours? I'm guessing it's not the "correct" Mayweg rack, but I was thinking of putting it on because it looks close. (That's if I can straighten it out...)
View attachment 172241View attachment 172242

Thanks for the heads up; I will look for a brass one before I really tear into the rims.
That will work yes same one I put on my bike. There is a special bracket needed to attach to the stem. If you do npot have it you can find them on feebay or post in wanted here. If you do not have any luck I can look for you on my other site.

That will work yes same one I put on my bike. There is a special bracket needed to attach to the stem. If you do npot have it you can find them on feebay or post in wanted here. If you do not have any luck I can look for you on my other site.
The one that goes under the headset locknut? I actually have one of them. It's missing the little bolt and wedge nut, though... may have to hit Fleabay for that.

i use a brillo pad and trertle wax chorime polish,most brass brushes are just brass coated seel or to soft,dont use an sos pad as they scratch as brillo doesnt scatch,soak the pad in the chrome polish

The brass brushes from harbor freight are the real deal brass. They are $.75 apiece I buy tyhem buy the dozen. If you can find it brass wool but I have not found it yet.

Latest posts

Back