60 something schwinn???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought of a guy today, kinda liked frame but just getting into old bikes, more into the Rats and Customs, but if anyone has some input as to what is and year model or how I can tell what and year I'd appreciate it ,

Attachments

• sb6.png
    sb6.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
  • schwinn bought.jpg
    schwinn bought.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 57
  • sb2.jpg
    sb2.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 52
  • sb3.jpg
    sb3.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 56
  • sb4.jpg
    sb4.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 57
  • sb5.jpg
    sb5.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 58
Here is some of the breakdown, Pops...

The badge is Schwinn :thumbsup:!

The frame is CWC, could be pre- or post- AMF purchase...none of the pics were angled in a way to make it clear. The serial on the bottom bracket will lead to the year.

Sprocket is Columbia, most likely.

I believe springer is either modern Schwinn, or possibly cheap reproduction.

Rack may be Columbia, the supports are at least.

I think the guard is a generic modern one.

Probably not what you wanted to hear...still can be a cool Frankenstein!

I agree with what RustyGold said above, except for the frame. With the curved lower top tube and curved down tube, it's a late 40's frame. Made in Cleveland by Cleveland Welding Company. They were known mostly for their own brand Roadmaster, but made bikes branded Western Flyer and Hawthorne also. That alone makes it a great bike even though everything else is different. That's ok, you can build it up any way you want without having to worry about messing up an original classic. The parts all look good, rust can be removed pretty easily.

A couple things I would do right away: Take the Schwinn badge off and sell it, it looks to be in good shape. The springer needs to be adjusted. The part with the spring should be pointing downward. The little bracket that attaches to the fork at the top is upside down.

Nice score, I wish I could find a frame like that over here. Post the serial number on the bottom and we can get the exact year. I put new wheels on a 47 model I found:
xqc9j7.jpg

Last edited:
Mine was at the end of the series 2, the rear fender mount is a round bar, whereas the series 3 has the larger bracket for the fender mount.

Here is some of the breakdown, Pops...

The badge is Schwinn :thumbsup:!

The frame is CWC, could be pre- or post- AMF purchase...none of the pics were angled in a way to make it clear. The serial on the bottom bracket will lead to the year.

Sprocket is Columbia, most likely.

I believe springer is either modern Schwinn, or possibly cheap reproduction.

Rack may be Columbia, the supports are at least.

I think the guard is a generic modern one.

Probably not what you wanted to hear...still can be a cool Frankenstein!
Thanks for the breakdown RustyGold, now I'm thinking about keeping it, guy brought my money back on bike and left with my son , told him to tell me he was sorry and left the money I paid for bike , but I think I want to keep ,then again maybe not the BB is wore slap out bearing cups fell out with the crank being removed, and tried some new ones had in the shop and they push in by hand

I agree with what RustyGold said above, except for the frame. With the curved lower top tube and curved down tube, it's a late 40's frame. Made in Cleveland by Cleveland Welding Company. They were known mostly for their own brand Roadmaster, but made bikes branded Western Flyer and Hawthorne also. That alone makes it a great bike even though everything else is different. That's ok, you can build it up any way you want without having to worry about messing up an original classic. The parts all look good, rust can be removed pretty easily.

A couple things I would do right away: Take the Schwinn badge off and sell it, it looks to be in good shape. The springer needs to be adjusted. The part with the spring should be pointing downward. The little bracket that attaches to the fork at the top is upside down.

Nice score, I wish I could find a frame like that over here. Post the serial number on the bottom and we can get the exact year. I put new wheels on a 47 model I found:
View attachment 173240
Sweet bike!

Latest posts

Back