60's Murray Trike **COMPLETED**

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I'm going to do this restoration for my daughter. I think I can do a quick turnaround on it, because I want to give her something to ride until Christmas when she gets her new 16" bike. So, here's what I've got, a 60's Murray trike I got from a farm. It's a dirty mess, but I think it's got good bones. The hardest part is going to be the front tire. If anyone has an idea of how to measure for a new fron semi-pneumatic tire, I'd appreciate the info.

The Troxel seat I think is going to be too hard to re-cover. So, I'm going to break it down, clean up the chrome springs, smooth out the metal, and shoot it the same red as the rest of the trike.

dsc1085mv.jpg

Re: 60's Murray Trike

I don't if you can see the bearings in there, but the rear wheels have loose bearings inside the hub. Should I try to open up the hub to overhaul it? If so, how? If not, do you think if I just injected new grease inside that would be enough to get the wheels to roll smooth again?

dsc10783.jpg

Parts are all cleaned up, and the silicone caulk is drying in the front tire's hole. I'll have to put a little more in there to build it up, but I want what's in there to harden first.

I'm thinking about painting the fender now that I've seen that picture above. I was trying to clean and polish it, but it doesn't look like chrome, it looks like shiney bare metal.

dsc1084tr.jpg

Very cool, otta be a fun paint and rebuild, the wee one's gonna love it!

That's going to be one cool little trike 8) ...and certainly light years ahead of modern plastic junk you otherwise would have had to buy new.

I've been away from home, but visiting for this weekend. I pulled some tape today. I need to do some touch up.

Before:
dsc0087je.jpg

After:
dsc0089lr.jpg

As you can see, some red got through the hole, and the tape made a less than perfect edge that I know have to correct. :roll:

All done with my first project. Here's what I learned:

-Rustoleum sucks. Chips when you sneeze near it.
-I suck at painting. I need to learn more patience.
-Prep is everything. See 'patience'.
-Projects cost twice what you planned, even when you're going cheap. :roll:

Before:
dsc1085mv.jpg

After:
dsc0091im.jpg

Result:
dsc0094jm.jpg

Thanks, but the pictures make the paint look better than it really does. The clear coat didn't get near as shiny as I thought it would have. Maybe it's prep? Maybe it's just inexperience. But it makes be think that I want to powdercoat my important projects, despite the cost.

You did a great job with what you had to work with, there is a site called Tricycle Fetish " The site for Everything Tricycle". Good job!

Nice job, I'm sure your daughter loves it.
Kenny

Latest posts

Back