68 Sears Screamer coaster brake :)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Not been active in the hobby much lately, job issues, life issues, health, death of close bike bud Steve Rent (Trailhopper on here ). on and on.

Did, however, make it out yesterday to the semiannual Carlisle auto swap meet with my Dad and a friend, all with minimal cashflow, lol.. just to browse, get ideas for projects and have fun .
Well, spent my life savings, (being unemployed sucks ), and wound up bringing this one home:
drumroll please...... lol.

1968 Sears Coaster Screamer

if I'm remembering right, this would be the 6th or 7th one to surface ? (we need a registry :)

Yes, it's serial 50247727******* so it's legit.

custom spray bomb over everything :(

Will need some help and advise form the Murray Gurus on this one.

- other than the obvious seat and sissy bar, what is incorrect ?

- right pedals ? red stripe bows ? has one looks to be Columbia type and one might be original but with all the rubber tubing broken off (as normal :(, someone needs to get that made, in long spools to cut to length ).

- it has right tires I think, but the front is a Carlisle Superride (pretty sure that's right ) and the rear is a blackwall Sears Allstate Slick. Did not get to check dates on them yet.

Did already have to try laquer thinner on the paint and whatever they sprayed onit is HARD , won't come off, won't scrape off, stuck good on the stickers. Gonna need a repaint, I peeled the sticker and took the console off and it's nice magenta underneath but rest is sprayed and some surface rust in the back started, so paint is going to happen.

Also, my other eliminator frames are in storage at present, and I don't recall, but are the rear dropouts flat ? or should there be a slight bend outward where the sissy and fender stay bolts ?

Excited about this find and a good kick-start back into pursuing the hobby actively :)

Try wet sanding 800 to 1000 grit auto body shop sand paper . Soak the paper good & go very slow. & wipe continueously as you go. This will take a while but there's a a handfull of bikes Id try that on this being one of them .Nothing to lose trying good luck.

Green Dragon You have found a great rare bike. I have a picture of mine to help you but don't know how to attach it.​

Great find GD! Congrats!

You need the seat and sissy bar for the bike. The sissy bar is a Bronco Spring Sissy bar, the kind with the exposed springs on it. The seats are either Bronco or a Persons seat. The Persons seat is probably more correct, but an impossible find, so the Bronco seat will work.

Mine had a Carlisle Zephyr Flyte front tire, like the ones on a Murray Eliminator Mark II. I am not sure on the back tires, I have seen Paragon Red Line rears, but a Sears All State works I bet. Maybe Murrayeliminator Eddie will chime in.

Lastly, mine came with black and white block Wald pedals. They look like they were always on the bike, I think the coasters got these, and the 5-Speeds got the red lines.

EagleEye, Thanks for the info. I knew about the Bronco sissy, but did not realise the setas could also be Bronco, so will keep lookout ( I think Jaxon said he had a seat ,so will help lots :). White stipe block peds would be easier to find, same as a 24" 68-9 Spyder (that's what my 68 soon-to-be 10 speed clone has ). You can see the carcass of the bow pedal on the non drive side, which had me thinking redline bow peds. Could be changed since the other side is mismatched.
Is the rear brake the fish logo one ? Mine is here but the chrome is all rusty and flaking so I can't make out any logo or print, maybe after I wire wheel it.
Definately excited about restoring this one, gonna have to bump some down the list so this can be up top, lol.

I was going to ask what the rear brake was on that one. I got a fish brake with mine, I thought it would probably be the same. I have plenty of them for you when you need one. I also have the sissy bar for it, it has some rust, but it will clean up after an Evapobath.

For the seats, I don't really know with 100% certainty if Broncos were the only one. Whopperchopper had a Persons with his, and Mark W. had a Persons with his. But I have seen them online with Bronco brand.

Now, that could be that guys swapped their seats from Bronco because the Persons aren't available...don't know that. But, it will work and Jaxon has one so I think that might be stock :smug:

Whopper, thanks for the link. I do remember that thread, was good to grab the closeup pics for reference.
Going to get working on this one, already did 75% teardown to access needs and condition. Spring is my big 'flip bike' season, which is how I support the collection :), so less time for my own projects next few months.
I really like the coaster version of the 68, at least to me they look meaner with the standard bars,fenderless front and colormatched seat (can purple be meaner ? lol ).

The seat is a bit different on these, the groves/pattern on the top of the seats don't go down the sides, they terminate just as the top of the seat curves to the sides, if that makes sence

Latest posts

Back