70s Huffy 3speed Open Road

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A neighbor has given to me free today a 3speed Huffy Open Road.

be708e8996899caa6079a873475387c7.jpg

I'm a make it go again, just because it's a 3 speed.

I told him if you all said it had any value, I would pay him for it. It is built by Mr. Huffman's gang in Daytin, OH.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

A neighbor has given to me free today a 3speed Huffy Open Road.

be708e8996899caa6079a873475387c7.jpg

I'm a make it go again, just because it's a 3 speed.

I told him if you all said it had any value, I would pay him for it. It is built by Mr. Huffman's gang in Daytin, OH.

I like it... But am not known to be average or normal.. I'm more into appreciating it for its ugly duckling yellow and 70's graphics.. I'd kick a few bucks and shipping to play with it:crazy2:

Mag sprocket with faux lugs is awsome

I will have to get a closer look when I get it back from Tom. I have too many bike projects going on at once so I have enlisted Tom's help. Tom is close to 70 and still opening his shop 4 hours a day. Every time I stop in he is reading the paper. I don't know how long he is going to be able keep working so, it's my way of showing support for him and his shop. He is only open 4 hours a day because he spends the rest of his time taking care of his wife. He is a good old dude and a pretty good mechanic. Still works on the projects the newer shops won't touch.

He looks like the dude on the left in that Huffman Gang photo above, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad you have a guy like Tom you can depend on to tackle the odd and tricky stuff. Try to learn all you can from a guy like that - all the old school tinkering stuff is great skills that will serve you well. :thumbsup:

Also would be cool see Tom's collection of tools... He must have some rather unique old school tools if he had that fork rack in the rafters...
Tell Tom he and his tools has fans...
(Hope the fame doesn't bump prices out of my range)

The Huffy is back on the open road. Not a take it apart cleaning, but a good cleaning. Rear hub just spins forever. Front not as nice. A fairly good match on the Kenda gum wall tires. I received several compliments on it before the cleaning began. Love the look of it, except that seat.

fe7752bbf1ef4f769d21e9362ecc505f.jpg

1d201a02fe86cb6b43697770d179668a.jpg

I assumed 70s by the graphics, however, I found one identical on line that claims 67'. Anybody want to take a stab at age?

Thanks.

I live in Dayton, grew up here, and have a soft spot for all Huffy bikes. I have a couple new cruisers, a USA made mountain bike, and a couple old three speeds. 70's three speeds, to my knowledge, were built by Raliegh in England and imported for sale here. I've picked one out of the trash, seen them for about 30 bucks at thrift stores, and been given two of them free over the years. So probably not worth a lot of money, but .... nice three speeds all the same.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I suspect I already have more cash into it then it's worth since I paid Tom to get it back on the road. Tires, tubes and adjustment. Not counting the 5 SOS pads and several hours. Fun as heck to ride though.

Latest posts

Back