72 Huffy Rail frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can't find another one in red in Google images. Frame had a console shifter originally. Would like to know if it was a 3 speed or a 5 speed and what chain guard it had.
IMG_2463.JPG
I did find pictures of the earlier 3 bar frames in red as well as short 2 bar frames in red.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the color looks like my Huffy made JC Penney Swinger. It has a flaming stack and is a 3-Speed. It also uses the Persons springer banana seat. Mine is a project though, it didn't have to original parts when I found it. Let me see if I can find a picture of the ad for the bike.

Ahhhh, ok, Huffy it is! I didn't see the badge oops :)

I should have mentioned that in my original post. Now that I think about it the bike was probably a 5 speed, it had a front derailleur and 10 speed sprockets on it with Shimano stem shifters on it. Unfortunately the bike came without wheels. All the original parts that were on it are junk. I got this in a trade, it came with a good Slingshot fork and front wheel. I'm just not sure what to do with it. Should I just restore and leave it red or build a Slingshot out of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that is indeed a 1972 frame, it likely would not have a stick shifter. I also do not see any paint lines indicating it had one. I have been told that Ralph Nader pushed for the ban on stick shifters on new bicycles after 1971. I could be wrong, but am certain it had a thumb shifter.

I have been told that Ralph Nader pushed for the ban on stick shifters on new bicycles after 1971. I could be wrong, but am certain it had a thumb shifter.
Schwinn offered a stick shifter through 1973. 1974 models were all thumb shift. I'm not sure if this was the case with all manufacturers, but that's how schwinn did it.

If that is indeed a 1972 frame, it likely would not have a stick shifter. I also do not see any paint lines indicating it had one. I have been told that Ralph Nader pushed for the ban on stick shifters on new bicycles after 1971. I could be wrong, but am certain it had a thumb shifter.
Nader — what a loser. Talk about the end of the muscle bike. Thanks Ralf. Lol

Latest posts

Back