73 Raleigh Sports

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Found this beauty today in a garage hanging from the rafters collecting dust. I actually purchase both, his and hers. Couldn't help myself. It belong to an older lady who had not ridden the bikes since her husband past away. They have been stored away for years. I assured her, I would give the bikes a good home with much attention and care. She smiled and said thank you.

Here's a few pics in my bike. Didn't take pics of my wife's bike yet. The only thing I've done so far was remove the cobwebs and cleaned the frame.
f6f59cd120bab3ce8e0a51adcac6a9c6.jpg

44c6581d0e0ad10860f631b064ed75b2.jpg

db3587eb786e50bdfbb56d8b10ad7509.jpg

0c86aeb8d94e5b82ddc6f4f3008f40cb.jpg

5195855bdae456513a62c250e69c2999.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

front wheel was replaced.
seat needs a good leather treatment. looks like it wasn't riden enough to mold it to the wrong shape.
you can check the date on the rear hub. yr mo. about 1975.

front wheel was replaced.
seat needs a good leather treatment. looks like it wasn't riden enough to mold it to the wrong shape.
you can check the date on the rear hub. yr mo. about 1975.

The Brooks saddle is in good condition. I did apply the Brooks conditioner, which I can't remember the name, and it's looking better. The bike was built in 1973.

Last edited:
I was mis-remembering the year the self adjusting brakes were introduced. Yes, that was 1973.
And 1973 was before the CPSC started the reflector requirement, hence the aftermarket refectors.
The large flange aluminum alloy hub was added by 1980 along with Weinman aluminum alloy brakes & levers.

I've owned about a dozen Raleigh 3 speed bikes. Sports, LTD, DL1, RSW. Plus these English 3 speeds: Robin Hood, Hercules, Phillips, Armstrong, Stelber, Apollo, Western Flyer(s), Huffy. And another odd dozen of USA or Asian built 3 speeds with SA or Shimano hubs (Grants, Huffys, Bridgestone and a ton of Schwinns (Racers, Travelers, Speedsters, Breezes). Oh and an Austrian built JC Higgins.

One time I built up a Teledyne Titan with all steel 3 speed parts just to annoy other Titan owners. 3 speed coaster (TCW) rear hub, Dyno front hub that I wired in to a WonderLite, steel bars, steel stem, cottered crank, steel pedals, steel seat post, leather over straw and 2 sets of springs seats. But with tubular rims & tires. It was a pretty wicked ride. The racing rims & tires meant instant steering and acceleration.

Rick

Latest posts

Back