'78 Columbia Trike "Revs" Rollin'!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should probably start on the build report before the trike is finished!

Ok, that being said, here's the story. My neighbor called me out one evening telling me I had to see this bike he acquired. I almost couldn't believe my eyes!, I've been looking for a differentially configured trike forever. When it comes to delta trikes these are the best for handling, as the powerflow is very smooth when cornering. While I tried not to appear too estatic, this guy really needed the help, and I paid him top dollar for it.

The Hub.
It came with a Sturmey-Archer S3C hub. I have a Love/Hate relationship with these things. The last one I had skipped continously no matter how much adjusting or fiddling I did with it. The planitaries were just whoopped, and it was from a girl's bike!
Now this one was BONE DRY and the planetarys were rusted. The back bearing was roaring from lack of lube, and I really didn't want to take it apart, but guess what? I tried just cracking it open but it was just too far gone, spent 4 hours on it. It's spinning much freer now, but I'm waiting for an index chain to check the shifting part.

I give it three months before it explodes.

The Diff.
Although dirty and oosing grease out of every pore,this part is in great shape based on the fact that this thing was designed for a lawn tractor, and I'm sure the hub would bomb long before this component would feel enough torque to break it. 3/4"(19mm) axles?! that's a lotta' beef, most trike axles are 5/8"(16mm). Took about an hour of searching to find these oddball bearings. The right hand bearing was so bad the balls were riding on the axle, the race split in two! I had to cut the races off with a Dremmel.

The Frame.
I originally was thinking about flipping the headtube and having a lowslung chopper, almost Burrito-esqe. But in mockup I really wanted to have the chainstays level with the ground so I can run long(I'm old)cranks and go to 20"x4.25" wheels from 24". So I set it on it's own rear basket which put it about the right height. For kicks I set the front wheel, a 20 spoke front from a very flowery Murray "muscle bike". I went straight down the headtube centerline and propped it up there.
Now I normally dislike this type of chopper, where the forks are very vertical, but this just seems different.
I sometimes force myself to try other things like white walls, I used to hate them. But they will sometimes "complete a look" that would not have worked with black only. I think my Bling Ray is a good example of this.

The Parts.
Here's where it really starts to go downhill.
Aztlan Cycle has a lot of the fluff I need like apes and blue chain. But when I put stuff in the shopping basket,it created 2 completely different shopping carts, on different sites and double handling charges! No Way Dude!
When Choppers U.S. says something like "extremely limited availibility" they mean it. 'cause I'm not getting the rims I originally wanted. But they did call right away and told me about it and that they had hopes of purchasing more. Cudos. If you've done any reading lately about how things are going in the world shipping wise, you can see I need a plan "B".
They have complete wheels with aluminium rims and I might go for those.

The Mission.
To try to build light for once.
Have a somewhat "show finish" but without the "retentiveness"
Build a shifter from scratch.
Improve my brazing "skills".
Pay homage to "Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch" Thanx to Wikipedia for the name research.

The Pics.

score001.jpg

score005.jpg

frame.jpg

mockup.jpg

headbadge.jpg

frstcut-1.jpg

toptube.jpg

I left the seat stays on to help line up the jig.
jig.jpg

The seat that came with it is not original, but I like it, it'll be recovered with black sparkle vinyl.
jignseat.jpg

prebraze.jpg

braze1.jpg

braze2.jpg

Axle bearings arrived today.

Re: '78 Columbia Trike "Revs"

Index chain from Bikeman showed up today also, Hub died. At first there was no first gear, then it started to lock up. Bikeman also sells hubs, I think I'm just going to get a new one and alleviate any further pain.

It's official, I now just hate the S3C hub.

Looks NICE!..........Nice job on the metal work. Brazing is an art. If you can braze, you can Tig.

looks like you might be able to pull a wheelie after movin the seat.

Upper Class White Trash said:
looks like you might be able to pull a wheelie after movin the seat.

Yea, that is a posibility. The seat at the post mount is about 2" in front of the rear axle.
But with apes that I have to stare thru a lot of my body weight should be in front of the CG. It's gonna' be close.

i don't think those s3c are worth the time fixing.

heres what sheldon's page says about the s3c

"Coaster brake. After Consumer Reports rated the TCW IV "unacceptable" due to the fact that the brake would fail completely if the shift cable was misadjusted, Sturmey-Archer completely redesigned their Tricoaster, so that the braking was independent of the gear-change. This model is safer than the TCW series, but is still prone to failure. "

its bound to fail eventually, so at least one hand brake is probably a good idea.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer/s3c.html

Finished the seat stays and cross brace today. Cut sprocket off of the old hub and chucked the shell in the trash. One day I shall get one of those S3C hubs to work.

Tubing joining sleeve.
sleeve.jpg

stays2.jpg

stays1.jpg

Yikes!, almost got bumped off the first page. Lots of builds happening. While taking a bit of a break, I decided to build a model shifter out of cardboard.
I like the kneed stick design the best. I also got the internal mechanism's designed, may make a separate tutorial on this if it works good.

rev5001.jpg

rev5008.jpg

rev5004.jpg

rev5005.jpg

what kinda rim are you using in the back for tha tmonster tire? it doesnt look like one of the OCC rims. i like the view from the back of this bad boy!

Easy E

JoKeR63 said:
I like the kneed stick design the best. I also got the internal mechanism's designed, may make a separate tutorial on this if it works good.

I think that one's the best looking too! Hope it'll work well, I'm really curious to see how you've designed the mechanism! :)

slacker said:
A major improvement on the attitude of the frame. Funny what a little welding can do.

What are you plans for a basket/rear bed? I'm waiting to see someone use the wooden slats from an old sled.

sled.jpg

Sorry, but hacking up an old sled is on my "Things that would make me catch on fire" list.

However, the idea is still brillant.
I was pondering some sort of trunk or bed, and a plywood deck was one of many thoughts.
But reproducing the pattern on new slats would be easy. And there ain't nothing as sweet a smellin' as freshly varnished wood.

Cudos, Slacker.

Design in progress. Also may have pinstripe potential, like the lightening bolts.

elvis51 said:
what kinda rim are you using in the back for tha tmonster tire? it doesnt look like one of the OCC rims. i like the view from the back of this bad boy!

Easy E

That rim is extremely broken(flange broke off), It basically props up the tire to look at. I'm getting 2 OCC rear wheels and I'm gonna' relace them to the original hubs.
Order coming from ChopperUS.

Santa came today, threw parts on at lunch.

rev6001.jpg

rev6003.jpg

rev6005.jpg

Got the wheels laced up and cut out the shifter body. Turns out buying the whole wheel was a good idea.
Saved a mint on spokes! :D

rev7005.jpg

rev7006.jpg

With trike hub..........
rev7007.jpg

With original hub.......
rev6005.jpg

Although the hubs were different sizes, the shorter and smaller diameter trike hubs spoke math worked out all on it's own(SWAG). :wink:

rev7008.jpg

rev7001.jpg

rev7004.jpg

Back