7th Annual OddJob : RRB BO #16 WINNERS !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OddJob

Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Each year, around this time in the voting for your favorite RRB BO bike builds, I present my award to those builds, and builders, that have brought a high degree of RaT-isfaction, have ranked high on my own personal RaT-ing scale, who have made an ir-RaT-concilable difference to my view on what is kool with a kapital K!

This year's award, like the two previous years, is a 'rat job' in itself. It serves a purpose in the 'normal' world as a cover for an open electrical box. But here, here it's a trophy; custom painted and decal embossed to make a handful of builds (literally, five...) that have really 'turned my crank' this year. (c'mon, it's an OddJob post, you didn't expect puns?)

Here are some photos of the award for this year. The colors represent my own personal build, '53 Bel Airflow Shelby, in the dark metallic gray and faded in '53 Chevy Woodland Green. They are coated with 3 shots of matte clear before being decal-ed. They come with two magnets and make great decor for you tool box, fridge, or anything else that is steel.

Who will our winners be for BO #16?? Stay tuned!

241510014_3002849323288758_5193955203641636987_n.jpg

241430896_306910657871426_788975147428115100_n.jpg

241072923_853306692026491_7625777958200683166_n.jpg

OddJob Awards Winners BO #16 !

I hereby dub these builds in the Rat Rod Bikes Build Off #16 as the
"Most RaT-isfying Rat Rods"!

These bikes epitomize the rat rod bicycle in my own weird rat-ionalizations. They all have met my RaT-ionale for what is most RaT-isfying and have tipped the RaT-ings scale in their direction for BO #16.

Each OddJob Award winner will be mailed a custom made, straight out of the BACK40, award formed from a gang utility metal box cover, a magnet, custom vinyl graphics, and painted this year with the dark gray and '53 Chevy green colors that were used by me on the '53 Bel Airflow Shelby during this year's build-off. They can be used for tool box, fridge, bike geegaw; anything that is steel, they will stick to.
The award will be accompanied by a Certificate of Autho-RaT-zation declaring these rat rod bikes as the BO #16 OJ winners!

And now, without further Mt a'Dew, the winners, in no particular order:

Edgelord by gowjobs

Adopting the persona of a edgy, often outspoken and cutting internet personality, this California laid back builder took a completely different 'angle' to his bike build approach this year. Using a mass produced, but very custom looking frame, he somehow bent those angular shaped tubes into a hot rod with his wheel, tire, bars, fork and saddle choices. It's at once edgy, and curvy, at the same time! His use of a boat part, a Chris Craft throttle lever turned into bicycle gear shifter, gave it that Rat touch.
He also pulled off a cool beach-front-blue paint job which only accentuated the cool lines of this frame. It all came together in one stealthy, and eye catching build. Congrats @gowjobs !

BeFunky-Edgelord.jpg

The Bird by KJV

Sometimes, you just look at a bike, and it grabs you. It helps if you start with a cool Elgin frame, and a unique and concept fitting saddle, and then top it off with a mixed paint job that simply just seals the deal! Painting the rim, hub, and spokes all the same color is a combo that has always grabbed my attention. Matching the grips, saddle and tire color to a "T" gives the bike a cohesiveness that creates a winning combo. And his use of the skip tooth drive train, keeping it old skool real, clinched my choice for an OJ this year. As the song goes, The Bird IS the word~! Congrats @KJV !

BeFunky-The Bird (1).jpg

Rocky by CruJones

This next build caught eveybody's attention this year! His handiwork with the wood tank insert, and subsequent patina paint caught my attention early on. As the whole build came together, it was a well thought out and executed plan that revealed this amazing build in the end. A first timer for an RRB Build-Off, he knocked our socks off with his combination Rat, steampunk, vintage clean build. From his custom add-ons to tying it together with an amazing patina paint job, this build is truly drool worthy! Congrats @CruJones !

BeFunky-Rocky (1).jpg

Old News by EricStreetRat

Another first time builder in the RRB Summer Build Offs, he showed his creative skills off in true Rat style with this build! The history of the bike that had been ridden regularly long ago, and then put away for many years, and his breathing new life into the original paint, put this 'resurrection resto Rat' on the map. Carrying the theme of the paper boy delivery bike throughout the build thread, and then capping it off with his final photo in front of the local newspaper building brought it all together for me. Old skool flashlight for a headlight, speedo, and 'naner saddle, coupled with his custom tank insert and funky bars gave this bike it's own signature. The writing was on the wall; this was a winner!
Congrats @EricStreetRat !

BeFunky-Old News (1).jpg

Campground Buggy Trike by SwissGuy

For years this builder has taken us along on his bike building exploits in his campground based shop. This year, he went all out and completely blew our minds with his conversion of an antiquated baby buggy into a baby buggy bumper hugger for his bolted on, double framed , three wheeled wonder! The attention to detail, electrical magic, CAD design (cardboard assisted design), and fun and informative update videos along the way, really nailed it this year. I spent many early mornings logging on to RRB, just to see what ol' SG was up to, as for him it would be early afternoon in Germany. This is also a first for the OddJob Awards, as it will be the first OJ to travel overseas to a winner. Congrats @SwissGuy !

BeFunky-Campground Buggy.jpg

And these are your RRB BO #16 OddJob Award winners!

Thank you so much! It's a big honour to be a part of this years OJ award winners. This means a lot to me!🥳
Especially as the award comes from someone I learned a lot from throughout the last few years! :praise:
I think I already know the right spot for this gem... 😉

Lee, you did an excellent job on your writing about each of the winners.

You need to get with @Angie about writing articles for the home page! Now that Steve has retired there is a position that needs to be filled. :thumbsup:

Great picks as always OJ!!!
CONGRATS!!! to this years winners!! It was fun following each of your threads too!

Latest posts

Back