8-Ply

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes:

Reaction score
Wow!! Those cantilevers totally changed the look of this bike. I think it flows much smoother now. Handle bars look good but it looks like your knees would hit your arms. But I'm with you, the older I get, the more comfort I want.

Reaction score
It pedals easier than I thought it would, but to be honest, I'm too bent over. I know everyone loves the bars, but I may experiment with other bar options. I'd like it to be more comfortable than it is.

I have faith that you will come up with either a cool way to use those bars, or you will come up with something even better :thumbsup:

Glen.

Reaction score
Dude! so much win already:thumbsup: I made a little squeak when i saw that back wheel:eek:. I was actually planning on doing something similar with the stems/clipons for my boX bike, I dont have anything as gorgeous as those though:(. With a roller already I cant wait to see what else you have planned!

Reaction score
Have you thought about brakes yet?

Luke.

I'm just now turning my attention to it. I don't have any of the materials to do a disc brake set up the way you recommended, so I'm playing around with various spoon brake or other friction brake options.

Reaction score
The jackshaft offset was 3". I had these two freewheels that I bought as a pair for $5, but I've never been able to use them, because it turned out that they were an odd smaller size. Tacked them together, and realized that I put one on backward.

Tacked them together AGAIN.
IMG_3292_zpsyqsnkatl.jpg

IMG_3294_zpspegzacag.jpg

I then welded on the modified rear of a kid's 12" bike.
IMG_3297_zpsxjl2qcsu.jpg

IMG_3295_zpsze0m7cqh.jpg

IMG_3296_zpscq0q7ht5.jpg

And it's a rider!
IMG_3298_zpsuvkfrszi.jpg

wow you did It ! Congrats looks cool

Reaction score
I don't like those 'bars myself... as you said, they don't flow right. Those Razor ones that Kingfish has is what you need. You've got the skills, so why not make some o_O

Here's some I whipped up in photoshop...

8ply_Bars.jpg

Glen.

That does look pretty good.

kingfish254

CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF!
Reaction score
I immediately thought of these bars when you mentioned you were rethinking yours. Something that matches the sweep of that top bar would look sick.

Reaction score
I did another version in photoshop without the forward sweep:

Version 2...
8ply_Bars2.jpg

Then wondered what it would look like with the curve going the other way:

Version 3...
8ply_Bars3.jpg

I think I prefer version 2... but I'm sure you'll come up with something even better.

Glen.

Reaction score
I know these bars aren't what you're looking for, but this shot, to me, says "Dude! Someone stole my tank and motor! [emoji38]
IMG_3300_zpsrazvewmg.jpg

As others have stated, this is looking amazing (as all Alchemist bikes do)!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Third set of bars. I wanted something lower profile, but that I could comfortably reach. I took a plain set of cruiser bars, then cut up a set of mini-apes in the center of the last bend by each hand, and welded them on the ends. It gave me some 6-bend bars that I'm kind of digging. I'm not sure that they look as cool in the pictures, but I like them.
IMG_3303_zpsrcfawlbi.jpg

IMG_3304_zpskra9ixpo.jpg

You may also notice that I changed out the chainring. Turned out the 36T I had on there made the bike easier to pedal than I thought it would, so I put on a 44T. It's also a little spikier looking, which is good for this build.

Next is brakes of some kind.

kingfish254

CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF!
Reaction score
I think you got it right with the bars!!
I really like the multi-jointed look of them. :113: