82 REDLINE MXII - COOL STORY

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I usually post up the bikes that I find and restore on my Facebook page. Most of my FB friends are family or folks I grew up with. I would say 99% of my FB friends are not bike people so I think they must think I'm nuts for all of the bikes I have posted up over the past few years. Some friends remember the BMX bikes of the 70s & 80s so they always look forward to what I come up with.

A few weeks ago a friend from High School sent me a message on FB asking me if I'd like to see his Redline that he had as a kid. He said it was still in his parent's basement and he'd send some pics. About a week later he sends me photos and I had to ask the famous question...wanna sell it? :D He said he needed to ask his folks to make sure there was no emotional attachment since they had hung onto it for so long and then he'd get back with me.

A week goes by and he sends me a message telling me that his folks were fine with him selling it and for me to make him an offer. We agreed upon a deal and then he dropped the bike off at the local bike shop...which ironically enough, was the same shop his folks bought the bike from 30 years ago. The shop was Ray's Bike Shop in Midland, Michigan. Apparently he had an orange Sting-Ray and his folks had told him that they were going to fix it all up with BMX parts for his 11th birthday. What they didn't tell him was that they were really planning to order the Redline and surprise him with it instead. He was blown away when he received the bike and was totally surprised by the whole thing. He told me that all the neighborhood kids were jealous and mad at him and he didn't even know he was getting the bike...ha ha.

Another cool side note is that I used to visit Ray's Bike Shop when we lived up there as a kid and would stare at all of the incredible bikes...the Redlines, the P.K. Rippers, etc. I used to order my Vans from that same shop back when you had to pick out all of the panels out of a binder and wait a month for your shoes to come in. For all I know I could have drooled over this very bike back then.

Anyway, the bike arrived today and it's pretty much in the exact condition it was back in the early 80s. I think the only difference was that he said it originally came with blue snakebelly tires and his folks had the Kenda Comp IIIs installed at some point later. Skyway I's with a Mexican Bendix coaster hub that's been converted to a feewheel. Definitely not a serious race bike, but still cool because it was a friend's bike.

So here it is...in all its survivor glory...

DSC_0001-001.jpg

DSC_0002-001.jpg

DSC_0006-001.jpg

DSC_0017-001.jpg

DSC_0008-001.jpg

DSC_0009-001.jpg

DSC_0011-001.jpg

DSC_0012-001.jpg

DSC_0014-001.jpg

DSC_0015-001.jpg

DSC_0022-001.jpg

DSC_0023-001.jpg

DSC_0024-001.jpg

DSC_0027-001.jpg

DSC_0028-001.jpg

DSC_0026-001.jpg

DSC_0032-001.jpg

DSC_0030-001.jpg

DSC_0033-001.jpg

And a shot of it parked next to my blue 82 survivor MXII...

DSC_0036-001.jpg

Thats an awesome bike! Congrats! :shock:

It is raining Motomags and MXII in Texas.

That Dia Comp brake is cool. You never see those annodized center pulls.

Latest posts

Back