86? Schwinn world sport, should I pull the trigger

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is a world sport on CL for 50 bucks. The seller says "it needs work" but from the picture it looks as if the saddle is torn to shreds but not much else looks bad. I haven't seen it up close though. Needs work could mean something minor.
I hear these late schwinns (made by giant or Panasonic) we're pretty decent
Should I pull the trigger?
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/bik/4080328735.html

I had the same bike, even the same color with a nice saddle. The whole bike was mint as it had been a training bike for a long distance runner. After numerous attempts at selling it I finally got $25 for it. Where you are there may be more demand for them.

I don't mind the color, it's the totally tubular 80's decals that gag me with a spoon.
So how heavy was the bike?

I'm pretty sure they were part of the entry level schwinn road bikes, nothing light about them except the cranks and stem might be aluminum, I think the rims were aluminum depending on the year, probably lighter than a varsity but the leap in value between the two is likely slim.

I offered her 20. We'll see what she says. If I read right it's a lugged 4130 frame. I know it's lighter than my continental. Then again a Sherman tank is lighter than my conti. The worst she can say is no.

Never did post a before, but here's an after (it's lighter than anything I've ever had before, but that's not saying much)

Looks pretty good, they were not cheap bikes new, any Schwinn from that time period that originally came without steel rims is worth having as a road bike, IMO...I had a World Voyageur in yellow, wish I knew where it was today. Some have completely chromed frames with pain on everything but the lugs and dropout areas.

The brooks has been on several bikes.... my rear end won't ride anything else.

This is a really nice riding bike. Lighter than anything else I've ever ridden. But I've ridden some gas pipes in my day

Now I am a roadster

Couldn't handle the drop bars anymore. my neck was giving me problems. Now I have to change the shifters because the down tubes are hard to get to now

Great bike..I have schwinn world frame stripped to bare metal..frame is just a little to big for me 23 inch..also have a 62 corvette..frame stripped..nice ride..enjoy!!

Thxcuz, that's a nice score. Let me know how that works out for you. I'm planning of doing the same thing. Replacing the drop bars and had also considered moving the shifters to the top tube.

I recently had a nice Schwinn World Tourist stolen so I need to replace it just to be able to keep up with my wife on longer rides. Lol I may be getting a Schwinn 10 speed. From my nephew. That's all I know about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thxcux...I just picked up a 80's Schwinn World Sport. My nephew gave it to me. So what could I do, I took it and ran with it.

Needs some TLC. It has aluminum rims. I will also put the upright handle bars. I have neck issues so can't handle dropbars. Did you have to run new brake cables?

Will post "before" pic this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back