87 GT PERFORMER

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Had someone contact me about their childhood GT that they still had and wanted to sell. Picked it up yesterday afternoon and had a good conversation about old school BMX and freestyle. This bike was a birthday gift that had been bought locally back in 87. It's all original with a few added stickers. The tires are pretty brittle and the front tire has some major cracking. The grips are turning to goo and one is missing completely. I plan to give it a thorough magical Texas water cleaning and overhaul. Need to pick up some rider quality tires and some grips as well. Should be fun to injure a hip on or tear an ACL.

gt001.jpg

gt002.jpg

gt004.jpg

gt003.jpg

Can you bleach the wheels?

I might try using some Softscrub first. It sounds like some folks have soaked theirs in hydrogen peroxide in the sun for several days and that did the trick, but there was some concern about weakening the wheels.

I have used Westley's White Wall Cleaner and it worked pretty well. Always wet the surface first tho or leaves streaks. Soft Scrub may work too.

Latest posts

Back