A Bike for Ed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
So this really isn't as much of a build as a good story, so I will put it here. Earlier this summer, while at a car show, I picked up a black Schwinn Racer. Bike was in pretty decent shape and all there. I had the intention of ratting it out somewhat, and perhaps making a 26" Fastback out of it.

I posted a few pics of it in the Fresh Finds when I found it. Then the next day at work, I was reading responces, etc. The foreman at our shop happen to be walking by and noticed I was looking at old bikes. He knows about my hobby and in the past, he has sharred some stories of his old bikes and I knew he once had a Racer too. When he saw my picture his eyes got all wide as he exclaimed "That is THE bike I had when I was a kid! Even has the same paper boy basket in the rear." So we started chatting about bikes and Schwinns and it was all good. He then shared a wonderful story with me.

He said that he got the Racer for Christmas when he was a kid. It was his first new bike and he loved it. Since he lived out in farm country where rutted dirt roads were the norm, and this particular winter was pretty severe, he didn't get the ride the bike for a long time. It sat in his bedroom all winter and into spring. Once the weather coporated, he was able to take out his new Racer. Where did he go you ask?

Well, first you must understand Ed a little. He is a great guy and real family man. Always willling to help out and always there to listen to your problems. As a youth, he was no different. When he wasn't working on the farm or one of his other jobs, he was doing his best to be a good kid. He had befriended a new student in his class that was having a hard time adjusting and making friends in a new school. Yeah, his new friend was a girl.

Anyway, as he told it to me, his first trip on his Racer was to ride into town to give an Easter present (a chocolate bunny) to his friend, to the girl he wound up marrying! How awesome is that?

His version of the story took 20 minutes to tell, and by the end, I almost had a tear in my eye as he foundly remembered those days long ago. At that point, the plans for my Racer took a turn. I don't need this bike, but I think Ed does.

I've been working on cleaning it up the last few weeks and I want to have it ready to give to Ed for a Christmas present this year. I can't wait to see his face when he walks into the shop and sees the black Racer sitting there with a big red bow on it.

Here are a few pics the day I got it. The chrome is pretty rusty even though you can't see it in the sunlight. Luckily, it is cleaning up beautifully. No progress pics, but I will take some when I finish...and when I deliver it. :D

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2012.jpg

thats awesome! :D the coolest bike story ive hear yet. good deal man, very nice.

Nice story, Dan.......Sounds similar to what I did with that PLAYBIKE "88". A friend told me to buy one if I ever found one. Same thing, it was his first NEW bike. He only had it 3 years, loved it, someone stole it. His house has a loft bedroom, therefore high ceilings. Friday the bike will be "suspended" in mid air, for everyone to see.

that would be the icing on the cake if you had a chocolate bunny.

Great story. Even better ending. You da man of the day. Yep ya gota find a chocolate bunny.

Way to go Dan!
Keeps the Holidays in perspective. Giving is what it is all about!

Joe

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I was planning to hunt down a chocolate bunny too, but I don't know if I can find one locally. I will have to order one online if that is the case.

good job :!:

only a person with care will do something like that and that's YOU :!:

You will probably find once you get the bike finished and hunt up a chocolate bunnie.....that Ed's wife ran off with a younger man, and Ed is paying alimony and a payment on the house he use to own for his exwife and her new boyfriend. :lol: :lol: :lol: Good story though.

Latest posts

Back