A day ride in Wichita (12/29/2011)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2011........Today is 12/30/2011. Yesterday was a beautiful day for a ride and I needed to pay my cable bill (phone and net, NO TV) so I rode my $1.00 bike. Its a bike that was raffled off at the MWBike Fest 2011 I had only $1 in that raffle and WON. The bicycle frame was donated by aka_Locojoe, a 1961 or so Schwinn Toronado, the wheels and assemble of the bike was the responsiblity of Udallcustombikes, with a lot of new parts donated by Porkchop BMX.This single speed free wheel bike has been my ride of choice this past fall, It is very responsive compared with the 50+#, long wheel base bikes I often ride. Its time to ride.
Parked in front of my house. Only change to the bike has been to replace the brand new BMX seat with a wider and springyer seat. And add the rack,, remove the bar pad.
004-4.jpg
006-4.jpg

Its the day before Thanksgiving, the weather is great, warmer than normal with little wind, got of work a couple hours early, I had to ride. I took my camera to show my ride, a ride I do often and is the route and places that the Coasters Thursday night pub ride often goes. Here we go.
These are a couple of my favorite houses about half mile from where I live, where I live most of the house are post wwII 2 bedroom lookalike houses. But as you get closer to downtown the houses become more varied in shape and size.
LMBBDandride038.jpg

007-3.jpg

LMBBDandride040.jpg

This is the Shamrock Lounge where the Coasters gather on Thursdays for the pub ride.
008-2.jpg
LMBBDandride041.jpg

010-3.jpg

Then we head east to Delano, thats where Wichitas bars and brothels were located in the late 1800s.
A painting on the side of a gallery/frameshop by an artist friend, Mike Fallier.
LMBBDandride042.jpg

The Wichita Fish Co. is were many of the Coasters eat before the pub ride.
LMBBDandride044.jpg

Some stop at the historic Nu-Way .
LMBBDandride045.jpg

And there are several places I often stop at for ice cream, the thriftstore to look for bikes, and a fastfood taco shop.
LMBBDandride047.jpg

2011...I ran into a Coaster BC member out is his Mini CONVERT
011-1.jpg
014-1.jpg

Delano now is mostly small shops, bars, restaurants.
LMBBDandride052.jpg

The LBS where one of the originators of the Thursday pub pedal is the chief mechanic.
LMBBDandride051.jpg

2011..Club Billards, an old pool hall the Coasters BC often visit, they serve their beer in frosty mugs...mmmmmmm.
016-2.jpg

A Rolls Royce in Delano????
LMBBDandride049.jpg

A 57 Chevy, thats more like it.
LMBBDandride056.jpg

2011..Looking in the window of a pinup style photo and art gallery
017-1.jpg

The Vagabond a usual stop for the Coaster pub ride.
LMBBDandride053.jpg

Lucky Devil tattoo owned by friend Ron Dolecek
LMBBDandride058.jpg

The round-a-bout clock tower where we often circle and take off on down the street
LMBBDandride057.jpg

2011.. at the roundabout/ clock tower, and at the Time Capsle
018-1.jpg
020-2.jpg

A look from the Delano area across the river at the Century II convention center
LMBBDandride059.jpg

In the cowboy days there was a toll bridge across the Arkansas river from Wichita to Delano, the cowboys had to pay to have their fun.
Today its free to cross the bridge, and one of the first thing you see going towards downtown is the Tripodol sculpture.
LMBBDandride063.jpg

2011...at the Tripodol
039-1.jpg

2011.. Across a parking lot you see the old City police station
038.jpg

Wichita has lots public art works around the city, many of them are found in the downtown area.
LMBBDandride071.jpg

LMBBDandride074.jpg

a Turbo Carrera, at a bank of course
LMBBDandride070.jpg

That the downtown arena being built, RRB member Letseatpaste engineered the window wall
LMBBDandride081.jpg

Then comes Old Town a former warehouse district that in the past 17 or so years has been turned into bars, restaurants, shops, and more recently loft apartments and condos. Thats where the Blue Lounge is located, its a stop on the pub ride, tuff to beat there Thursdays 2 for 1s
LMBBDandride062.jpg

When I stopped to take this pic I saw my friend Josh had his bike parked inside, note the old shoe leather seat. Josh is the owner/artist of Van Chase a maker of custom gearshift knobs, really cool stuff
LMBBDandride065.jpg

2011.. A sculpture in the Old Town area. 1 of a dozen or so that are about the area and are changed out for new sculpture each year
034-1.jpg

The Coasters often ride to the fountians at the Old Town plaza to ride through the water and cool down on hot summer nights, then its off to find cold refreshment.
LMBBDandride039-1.jpg

027.jpg

2011..Just down the street from the water plaza is this airplane that is one of the first US Air Force aircraft.
032-2.jpg

In Old Town is the old train station and the train museum
LMBBDandride083.jpg
LMBBDandride084.jpg

2011.... destination... part of the Old Train station.. Cox Communnnication pay my bill, head back home with a stop at the Braums ice cream store.. nice day for a December ride.
021-1.jpg

Then a stop at the Anchor, good food and huge selection of beer
LMBBDandride086.jpg

and the coolest sign in town, the neon is great at night
LMBBDandride087.jpg

Then its back towards home along the bike path by the river past Exploration Place, the science museum where my 'Mustang Pilots License' sculpture, an 8' by 8' P51 Mustang covered in 160 license plates is on permenant display in the avaition exhibit
LMBBDandride090.jpg

ride past the Veterans Memorial Park to the Keeper of the Plains
LMBBDandride091.jpg

then get off the bike path at the towers of light, an entersection with 14 of this towers positioned around it
LMBBDandride001.jpg

another mile and Im back home.
What a day for a ride, total length was about 8 miles. A ride I do often and never enough. Hope you enjoyed a little bit of Wichita, Kansas, USA.

Re: A day ride in Wichita

What a great tour of your area! All I managed to show is weeds and trees. :( B607

You made me re-think my opinion of Wichita. I've been there three times for work and never liked it. Thank you for showing me better spots.

Nice photo tour Dan.
I've always said Wichita is a nice place to live but I wouldn't want to visit there.

If you look in the background of the photo of the guy with guitar you'll see a sculpture/cast whatever of a soda fountain/lunch counter. It has historical significance read here

man, i feel like i've been there. great post.

aka_locojoe said:
I've always said Wichita is a nice place to live but I wouldn't want to visit there.

Ha Ha! :lol:

This is what's missing from where I live...personality.

I'm 25 miles north of Dallas so it's nothing but new suburbs and corporate chaos.

You can find cool places like this closer to downtown Dallas, but then you lose the safety factor...that and the real estate and taxes are too high.

Wichita seems like a very peaceful place to live.

Ratfink1962 said:
Nice job of capturing Wichita Dan, Ive never seen this post until now... sorry I missed out on it the first time around.
+1 Great post Dan! I think you could work for the Wichita Convention & Tourism bureau, or whatever they call it. Documentation is much better than they present it! Especially the beer part! :mrgreen:

aka_locojoe said:
Oh it's been beautiful weather last couple days for riding. Glad you were able to get out and take advantage of it.
I bet I've rode 100 miles this past week. Me and the wife rode a few days together , me and 450redrider rode to the Zoo and back Thursday.
Thanks for the pics Dan.

Latest posts

Back