A Lengthy Insanity

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well we are going to find out, because when I post the final contest picture for this bike it will have a front tire that’s been painted.

So far this does not appear like it’s going to fall off the rubber like a 1950’s porta-wall. I dirtied it up quite easily with my thumb while it was still soft, and I think the key to getting the right color might be in the manual application of contaminants.

Hogging out some plates with the small angle head grinder.
848788A4-5410-4D87-BFB5-84055027C396.jpeg

These need a little more sanding and fitting before I weld them.
35B5EE80-A94F-4EE7-B267-AC78B523C01B.jpeg

I never did find the other plate with the pre-punched hole, so I decided that I will drill my holes later. I could have pre-drilled them in the plates but I didn’t know exactly where I wanted them with the bicycle upside down.

I guess I could post a picture of it right side up?

A89BF1EB-FA30-41BB-BF99-2D89C2331F49.jpeg

Of course it doesn’t really look like this. I’m showing the derailleur on the wrong side.

Also, these will get altered (most likely) when I mount the sissy bar.

The one time I wish I lived in the country is when I want to grind parts at 6 AM. I usually never start in before 8.
I don't want my neighbors dragging some city official around here to examine my quasi-legal operation.

Because it's not actually a business, I can do a lot, as long as I don't tick off the neighbors.

Anyhow, when it's 100F by noon, it limits my choices. I can weld indoors, where it's 20~25
F cooler, but I can't bring the 2 ton welding fixture and rack in, so I need to get things tacked up pronto.

I got the filler plates drilled. I was chuckling to myself as I did this for styling purposes because I’m not really lightning a 46 pound bicycle any.
A891B6E8-5309-4E25-B086-330BA9ED53D7.jpeg

I don’t really wanna run these stem parts but I’m going to because I haven’t found anything better yet. In the meantime I’m starting to buff the black paint off of them so they will be shiny.
9639B99A-ABEC-4FDD-837D-E20A09F5D6C5.jpeg

So far I just hit those with number 400 wet-or-dry sandpaper. Genuine 3M. I gave up on buying cheap sandpaper a long time ago.

Oh it’ll work, But it does not last.

The one time I wish I lived in the country is when I want to grind parts at 6 AM. I usually never start in before 8.
I don't want my neighbors dragging some city official around here to examine my quasi-legal operation.

Because it's not actually a business, I can do a lot, as long as I don't tick off the neighbors.

Anyhow, when it's 100F by noon, it limits my choices. I can weld indoors, where it's 20~25
F cooler, but I can't bring the 2 ton welding fixture and rack in, so I need to get things tacked up pronto.

The secret is to bring the air conditioning to the welder.

We have a quasi-farm, with all the buildings but we rent the actual field out. Our village is also at the end of the road, and we are surrounded by forest. Funny that no one complains...

Well no air-conditioning here, but I am taking a break in the breezeway, which just happens to blow right on my welding area. Here is everything clamped up and ready to go.

29F791CD-37B7-4ED6-A2D8-2B46621C2C2E.jpeg
Here is everything clamped up and ready to go.

Right now it’s just enough breeze for me to cool off and take a break, and it’s not enough to blow away my argon. I got some solid tack welds, and it was done very easily, once I got everything dressed and positioned and secured.

I am really digging this welding gear, and if the welds don’t look nice when I get done, we won’t be able to blame the machinery. It will be my fault.

Yes it was 100°F by the time I finally switched on the welder.

AF82746A-DAB6-42EC-A4F3-0D21D162EEEC.jpeg

Here she is, all tacked up.
8EE4C955-3326-499C-8B79-96DE951E8724.jpeg

I will have to take this out of the wind to finish the welding.

As far as I can measure at this point that’s about how the bike is going to sit. It looks like I’ll have close to 3 inch drop.

Whooooo…..It’s freaking laid-back!

I can’t wait to put this thing on its wheels and I was ready to do it just with the regular bicycle seat to see what happens.

But I’m not that young anymore. I’ve managed to develop a tiny bit of patience and I will carry-on with the sissy bar now.
794B1BA5-3281-43F6-9F14-1B7902AD247E.jpeg
This is some Chinese ESW mystery tubing, from a hammock my sister bought me 20 years ago. You’ve seen its brothers and sisters in my early chalkboard mockups. This probably made from recycled Chinese hand carts. (So what is the Mongoose made from?)

It’s about the right size for what I have in mind. The question is, how strong is it?

I laid it on the anvil and applied 10 pounds in a rapid motion. It split apart just as you would expect starting with the weld.
E138B7D1-9C3E-4E3E-8F2C-BC720E4DBA6B.jpeg

I only need to extract two short samples for my socketry, I’m going to go cut it up for inspection.

Sometimes life gives you an omen and afterwards you feel wise that you followed it.

I made 10 tack welds on my frame, which was plenty to secure things, and when I looked up the thermometer said 110.

I looked at the frame and figured I wasn’t ready to make the other 100 dabs. it was lunchtime and I was feeling shot already.

But I did have enough energy to clean up my work area and play around with the sissy bars a little bit.

Every time I look at that close-up photo I want to go finish the welding and ride this bike. But it’s not gonna go without sissy bars.

I’ll do it tomorrow when I feel fresher. Now it’s time for a Shandy and maybe I’ll start the barbecue.

Shorty sissy bar mock up.
73341FA5-19F0-4D77-ADC1-45D7CE8741FE.jpeg

These tack welds were very strong. Things needed a little extra alignment, and I was able to bend them without cracking anything. 10 tack welds and each one came out great.

Closeup shot, Backside of the tacks.
BD39F9A4-263E-47BE-96F6-CA57E3D0C9CC.jpeg
Double sissy bar mock up.
9221CA97-7033-4E20-9847-ABB660F8BD5B.jpeg

Last edited:
Well I krapped out early and got nothing more accomplished. My motivation level is about 2% right now. In the middle of the night I woke up queasy with a nasty headache.

It’s going away slowly, but I’m going out to the shed and snort some oxygen. Maybe then I can get some sleep.

But with less than a week to go, you will either produce a bike or we will find you slumped over a part completed one, welder in one hand. We don't mind which... ;)

I think this is where I left off. I was working on the double sissy bar idea.
A9A930CE-63FC-4036-80A6-65E164DB629B.jpeg

I must have some kind of infection. I had fever and chills last night. Between eating generic aspirin and snuffing welding oxygen, the headache eventually went away, and I got back to sleep about 4 AM.

Now it’s 8:35, & perfect welding conditions, but here I am stuck in the La-Z-Boy with a mug of tea trying to watch the news.

I feel only half rested, I haven’t shaved in a week, I need a haircut, my fingernails look as bad as any dirt farmer, and my wife asked me to take her shopping.

Urk…

This is the beginning of the Four-day Labor Day weekend madness, so she’d be lucky to get me out there on the bicycle for a loaf of bread.

Fortunately, she and her sister were taken by a stroke of madness, and they are going to go shopping together instead, while I stay home and work on the bike.

But first, one more cup of tea.

Well the double sissy bar may not play out. I need that shortie for the Fake Huffy bike anyway.

This bike will get the long sissy bar and I will trim it at the last minute to whatever is most appropriate.

I found some much better tubing and it fits better too.

This was the 12” French princess bike I brought home: the Huffy Sea Star.
CC002BF3-0F5B-4D83-AEC5-6A1A0E4A145A.jpeg

Grinder time!

C8235A6D-E952-4A2F-A749-BD92E0BD8C3D.jpeg

I used the tubing cutter so these would come out square.
58557900-89F5-43AD-B69D-4B0857DA2D3C.jpeg

Here they are notched and mocked up on the frame.
4CC918C8-3E8A-4AA0-B94F-661E15DC8DC5.jpeg

F018AD59-6251-4A52-B889-8D172E505171.jpeg

I’m going to weld up the whole frame solid but I will just tack those sissy bar mounts on until I’m sure what I want.

This might be so far back that the bike will feel too long.

It’s past lunchtime and it’s over 100°F so I am going to take a break.

Last edited:
More gussetry was needed.
1B347A53-5B08-495C-8E94-CBAE98AF114A.jpeg

A74B22A5-7A0B-4FB1-9E0E-51C09AFFDE35.jpeg

924A86DB-5BAE-441E-86EE-C77FACE0BFA5.jpeg

OK. I am satisfied that I just need to sand off the paint. Then it’s TIG Time. I really wanna light it off right now.

It’s after 6 PM and it is 108 according to my meter. I think my best welding will be achieved tomorrow morning after a good nights sleep.
image.jpg
Without this mondo fan I couldn’t stay out here in this heat more than a few minutes.

Is 4 AM on the West Coast. I had a great night’s sleep, and I’m sitting here thinking that I need to go drill the holes for the blind screws on my sissy bar sockets, before welding.

I don’t have a V-block and I couldn’t find one locally yet, so it will be a pain to drill tubing. I don’t wanna wake up every dog in the neighborhood yet. It can wait a while.

It won’t bother me too weld before sun-up but drilling and grinding will be too noisy.

Aside from welding, sanding, and paint, I still need to make seat brackets, a backrest, tail light, and sissy bar bracket. I need to paint the front wheel and W/W tire.

Also I need to finish polishing the stem and caliper. There may not be time to polish that stuff and I might just spray it silver.

This may just be possible.

Latest posts

Back